New SPC900 dead pixel

Have finally recieved my flashed SPC880 after what seems like an age of patient waiting and set about installing it on the lappy. It installed perfectly first time so jumped straight onto sharpcap to test it out (before I removed the existing lense) I was a little annoyed to spot a dead pixel (see pic) which stands out like a sore thumb when the camera is set to 640x480 but now I know its there I can spot pretty easy at 320x240 esspecially when the picture is dark, Is this severe enough to warrant me returning it?

post-27026-133877649065_thumb.jpg

I would suggest not, hotpixels are kind of expected :) IIRC the serious CCDs are expected to come with at least a few!

I'd also try a proper dark - remove the lens, cover the CCD and do a quick exposure. That image doesn't look like a single pixel to me? Could it be a blemish / smudge on the lens?

thats pretty conclusive then cheers guys. just out of curiosity what is the best way to achieve a "proper" dark exposure. the one ive taken here was just with cam held against my shirt

Have finally recieved my flashed SPC880 after what seems like an age of patient waiting and set about installing it on the lappy. It installed perfectly first time so jumped straight onto sharpcap to test it out (before I removed the existing lense) I was a little annoyed to spot a dead pixel (see pic) which stands out like a sore thumb when the camera is set to 640x480 but now I know its there I can spot pretty easy at 320x240 esspecially when the picture is dark, Is this severe enough to warrant me returning it?

How on earth did you get your SPC 900 working with Sharpcap?

Downloaded it and it wouldn't recognise the camera/or vice versa?:)

to achieve a proper dark when imaging you need to do your subs first on your target say 20 x 2 min subs.....then put the cover on the scope and do 5 or 10 dark exposures on exactly the same settings as your subs so they stack correctly in dss.

How on earth did you get your SPC 900 working with Sharpcap?

Downloaded it and it wouldn't recognise the camera/or vice versa?:)

are you using a lx modded spc900 if so did you put the correct com port in in sharpcap.

to achieve a proper dark when imaging you need to do your subs first on your target say 20 x 2 min subs.....then put the cover on the scope and do 5 or 10 dark exposures on exactly the same settings as your subs so they stack correctly in dss.
are you using a lx modded spc900 if so did you put the correct com port in in sharpcap.

I reckon this is just a standard webcam - not LX modded.

mine is not lx modded. didnt do anything special when installing on my xp lappy. downloaded and installed the drivers. rebooted machine then plugged in camera. got all the boxes popping saying searching for drivers etc. when all that was done i launched sharpcap and hey presto all done

Archived