NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirror Cool Down and Thermal Properties

Once I realised early on that the three screws at the mirror end of my Newt were holding on a dust cap/cover. I removed it to reveal the collimation screws. I wondered at the time if there would be any benefit in leaving the end cover off during viewing. I was thinking in terms of cooling down speed. I was reluctant purely on the grounds of vulnerability of the mirror.

I have just started reading the book that Gaz reviewed - "Lunar and Planetary Webcam User's Guide - Martin Mobberley" and he states that there is great benefit to be had by removing the end cap and considers it essential in terms of cooling and thermal/air currents in the tube.

Do any other Newt owning members have views or experience of this and can you offer me any advice? :D

Cheers

Bill£

I don't cover the back of my mirror,except when it's stored away to keep spiders out.. I do have a cover over the front surface of the mirror though. This meant cutting a hole in the side of the main tube and fitting a hinged door.

Archived