Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

project Ideas

libraryman

Hi, iv'e just bought myself a maplins 7amp bench supply, i want to use it outside (i don't have an obsy) iv'e been thinking of a plastic box! weather proof idealy that i can use to contain several cigar type connectors in the wall, and big enough to contain some wiring etc! it would be supplied with a 240volt supply!

everything in fact i need to power my mount, DSLR, guider, lappy and possibly dew heaters.

i'm sure there are some great ideas out there?

Ray

Cheers Roger

i have to agree with that logic it's a bit of a pain working outside and i guess a lot of folk have put up with the hassle,but i also want to be quite portable because i get away quite often in my tourer, i always have mains available and weather permiting i use the mount quite often.

At the moment my preference is for a sturdy weather proof box containg the bench power unit, USB hub 12volt supply close to the mount and fed by a protected 240v supply!

Thats a big improvment on the system as it was.

i'd love to get away from 240v completely but i can't see how i can do that with the Dell lappy and the power unit.

i've looked at big Gell batteries but at what price!!

Ok then, RCD at the mains end and water resistance at the outside end :) Have you thought of those large storage boxes with lids that can seal up reasonably? you could take the power in/out through grommets to keep the moisture out. You may be able to get the lappy PSU in there too. Heat could be a problem, but a bit of warmth will help to keep it dry.

Hi Roger, thats where i' heading! got myself a good box from work (bright yellow) so i can it before i fall over it!!

Grommets for ingress of cables, computer fan for cooling, room for a small battery without making it a back breaker.

The lappy PSU need a little help with that! i need 19.5 volts 4amp supply.

Ray

The lappy PSU need a little help with that! i need 19.5 volts 4amp supply.

If you have mains power in the box already, I would use the standard laptop PSU. Maybe put a connector on the output side where you can then plug in a cable to the laptop.

This thread might provide some ideas... ;-)

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/149930-power-data-box.html

Archived