Solar Filter

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a solar filter for my pending Skywatcher 200p - if there is on. Would I just make myself blind or would I actually get a good view. If so which one for the best price.

Many Thanks,

Here is a great video made by an SGL member that covers the dos and donts

. You may also want to watch his other video which shows why eyepiece filters are dangerous.

The Solar film mentioned in the video can be bought from amazon for £20 Baader Astro Solar Film A4 Sheet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics I think you should get an 8" circle out of one A4 sheet just but it will be tight. Instead of cutting the film into a circle you could use the whole sheet. Another option could be to only use the small hole in the scopes cover. Dont forget you may want to consider filttering your finderscope

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a solar filter for my pending Skywatcher 200p - if there is on. Would I just make myself blind or would I actually get a good view. If so which one for the best price.

Many Thanks,

George....If you do get the baader film be very carefull!!!!

I made a silly mistake the other week which almost set my scope on fire with only about 5 seconds of sun exposure.

I was too lazy to make a filter cover for the viewfinder and was struggling to line the scope up with the sun, i took off the scope cover with the filter on to use the filter over the viewfinder which exposed the mirror. I had removed the eyepiece and put the black cap over it not thinking anything would happen.............how wrong i was....

Within a couple of seconds there was a strong plastic burning smell, i looked up and quickly moved the scope, the little plastic cap was burning and bubbling. The sun is not a thing to be messed with and is very very strong when magnified

:)

Archived