NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A benchmark

geoff_k

Clear night last night, but couldn't nail the focus on Saturn last night for some reason. Don't think seeing was quite as good as it seemed to be.

Before I packed up, I tried to capture some of Saturns moons at prime focus by over-exposing the planet. My record is seven, and although I didn't get that many last night, using the ATIK camera I picked up a faint star nearby. This goes by the snappy name of USNO HJ0925473+163130 and is magnitude 13.6.

Nothing special about that but it is the faintest object that I have definitely been able to identify when imaging. I'm sure I've captured some fainter ones in my few DSO images, but it isn't always easy to identify them individually. I thought it was a useful benchmark especially when it was a moonlit night. Should be able to go much deeper given the right conditions.

As for the rest I grabbed (from the bottom up) Enceladus, Dione, Iapetus, Tethys, Rhea and Titan. The other star shown is HIP46232

post-13129-133877326823_thumb.jpg

Impressive stuff Geoff. Never tried myself to image all the moons. Must give it a try.

btw the seeing last night was not good. I tried to image last night but niether scope would focus. Only took 2 avis and gave up. Strangely the visual view was pretty good right upto 240x.

Russ

nice one Geoff like that mate , yes i know what you mean , i think i got myself in a two and eight the night before last ,Saturn was awful could not focus , thats why i done a collimation on the scope , but i dont think it was far out , its not been good up there lately for some reason, looks to be ok , but imaging is carp

Rog

Hi Geoff

Thats an interesting pic.

I spent some time on Saturn and caught 5 Moons visually.

I did a small sketch as the way the 3 Moons to the North West made a line was an interesting sight.

Cheers

Ian

Archived