Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filter needed for Deep Sky Observing ???

I've been pretty successful in finding some deep sky objects here at the campground (very very dark skies). I've read a few threads regarding filters, not sure I understand much of it, but I'd like some advice please - would a filter(s) help to make the object I am viewing sharper? I have noticed that when its warm and humid during the day, that night viewing is not as crisp so I attribute that to atmosphere (am I correct??) Cooler nights are better viewing so it seems and I thought maybe a filter with my EP would make it even better, yes no ?? Thank you for your help

Filters can enhance the contrast of certain deep sky objects, principally nebulae. The UHC and O-III types are the most effective. For galaxies and star clusters dark skies are the answer as the filters don't improve the views of them.

I'm not sure that crisper and sharper would be the result though because most DSO's do look subtle and quite faint visually.

Filters work for nebula but not galaxies, got it; I won't see any color in the nebula's right? (even with a filter?) The only way to make galaxies look clearer is a bigger telescope or different type of eye piece?

Faint suggestions of colour can be seen in one or two objects (eg: M42) but mostly it's just shades of grey visually, even when using a filter. Dark skies and aperture (preferably both but even a 6" under dark skies shows DSO's surprisingly well) are the best/only way to get better views of galaxies. Nice eyepieces are great but don't capture any more photons.

I don't use my O-III filter very often but when I do it's sometimes the difference between seeing virtually nothing of an object and a lovely view. The Veil and Owl nebulae are good examples of this.

Bigger scope for faint and fuzzes. EP's make no difference what so ever in that sense. As for making anything sharper... good collimation and a well cooled scope. Mother nature ultimately decides how good the views will be but there are things to look out for. As you are camping I take it you are out in the wilderness. Look out for where birds are flying during the day. Birds often ride on thermals to reduce their effort remaining airborne. You will see several birds circling an area of sky. You should avoid looking over larger hills or mountains as there can be turbulent updrafts as the hill side and lower ground areas cool at different rates. Similar problems are experience in build up areas with heat radiating from neighbors roofs or from boiler flumes. While you can still observe in the areas of sky the viewing will not be as good.

HTH

SPACEBOY

Thank you Spaceboy, I would not have thought about thermals or updrafts and the impact it has on viewing. So much to learn for this old gal :-) I appreciate all the help and info.

Archived