NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unukalhai and M5

Hemsy

A pretty dark night over here in NL and just caught my first glimpse of M5. A faint smudge though it is, it has really made my night. As you can tell I am pretty new at this. Hope the excitement factor doesn't decrease as times goes by :)

Can anyone tell me of any other Galaxies, SC's or Nebulae that make good viewing with a pair of Bins (15 x 70)?

Cheers,

Ed

I find the most pleasing objects with that size of binocular to be open clusters and tight (-ish) asterisms. Apart from obvious delights like the Perseus Double Cluster, the Coathanger, and Kemble's Cascade, just cast around the northern Milky Way in the Cas/Per region and see what you find -- then try to identify it.

I have been doing a lot of 15x70 observing, and the summer skies are full of great stuff. From a really dark location in France I got the Veil (difficult). From a dark site the North America nebula is very nice (BIG). M27 is great, M31 and M33 where awesome from France this year, and should be good in the fall.

I have been doing a lot of 15x70 observing, and the summer skies are full of great stuff. From a really dark location in France I got the Veil (difficult). From a dark site the North America nebula is very nice (BIG). M27 is great, M31 and M33 where awesome from France this year, and should be good in the fall.

Thank you Michael.

I'm just down the road (A28) from you and suffering a little from LP but have managed to view M31 last week, which looked good. Was in southern France last year and the nights are super dark - making viewing through the Bins a joy. Tonight should be clear for us both with the added extra of an ISS flyover.

Ed... read the sticky in this section... lots of Bino targets.. get a note pad and start counting :)

Thanks Guy

I missed that sticky and indeed, some good info there.

Had a good night last night, managed finally to find m11 and whilst looking at m31 saw a couple of Persieds meteors in a short spell. :icon_scratch: I hope these clear skies hold for a while.

Archived