Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally Decided to ....

Stephen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I too have worked in IT for 20 years and I couldnt have put it better than your acquaintance so very true.

How true is that! (worked in IT for 25 years) My wife changes her career on a regular basis, she just finds something she is interested in and has even worked for nothing to get the job she wants, obviously this is hard if you are the main earner so the next best thing is to volunteer some spare time doing something you are interested in as often this can turn into a dream job....just a thought.

well if you need any chemistry or biology advice, fire away, i am a doctor of molecular biology, and i have two degrees my first is in molecular and cellular biology and my second is in chemistry

Super geek or what :)

Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on that! :rolleyes:

I think it is a very good idea to obtain a uni degree in a subject you like and have the skill set for, both from the point of view of personal development and satisfaction, and for better job opportunities.

I started out doing an MSc in Astronomy and later obtained a PhD in Computer Science. I now work as a Senior Lecturer in computer science (in particular image processing and computer vision). I find the difference between a programmer doing more-or-less mundane programming (as is usually the case for those with plenty of skills but without a uni degree), and a software engineer, software architect, or computer science researcher (which is open to those with degrees) is huge, in terms of the variation and challenges you get.

Though I am now primarily a computer scientist, my field allows me to get into fields ranging from microbiology and immunology (I even wrote a computer simulation of diarrhoea :rolleyes:), 3D MR, CT and ultrasound imaging, remote sensing, and astronomy. I have just got a grant for developing new image processing tools for automated detection and analysis of merging galaxies in deep sky surveys. I also work with remote sensing people on automatic detection of collapsed buildings after earthquakes. This is all highly exciting, and very varying work.

Finally, if you have such programming skills, and get a degree in astronomy, you could be in a very good position to get a job in devising new processing tools for the HUGE data streams in modern astronomy (think 5 terapixels from ONE camera every month). There is a golden opportunity for those with knowledge of astronomy and outstanding computer skills.

Best of luck, and if you need info on image processing and computer vision, say the word.

Archived