Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon DSLR

XxS4CR3DxX

Hi all I have a nikon D60 DSLR Camera and was wondering if I can use this with my telescope to take some images it doesn't have live view on so I would have to use the view finder but if u guys could help me out in what is needed or if it's no good that would be great.

In short, yes you can.

I used a Nikon D40 which also didn't have live view. I would HIGHLY recommend a Bahtinov mask for your scope to help you achieve focus. I would get as close as I could in the viewfinder first, then throw the B-mask on and do some test shots, fine tuning the focus each time. Once you have it focused you can remove the mask and off you go.

As far as what you need, it depends on your scope and how you want to image. Most DSLR-scope combinations you can get a T-Ring/Adapter that will directly connect your camera to your scope. Another alternative is piggybacking the camera to the scope and using regular lenses. If you tell us what scope you are using and how you plan to use it in imaging we can help you out more specifically with adapter advice :)

130P? Hmmm, Im doubtful that your camera will come to focus on that telescope (at prime focus), its best to check before going any further. You could use the 2x barlow you get with it to achieve focus, but that rules all DSOs out as it would seriously degrade your images and cause vignetting (darkening of the corners) - leaving the moon, and maybe planets (by doubling up your barlows) as your only viable targets.

cheers mate, i was thinking about selling the scope and getting the SKYLINER-200 203mm (8") f/1200 Parabolic Dobsonian but not to she where the best place is to try and sell it! i still have all the box and everything as i know it can be done with that scope

The Dob will be difficult to image with, particularly with no drive. However, you could take images of the moon + planets. A webcam would be a better bet for that type of photography though.

DSO photography is possible with a Nikon - I used to use a Nikon D70. You would need an IR remote to take exposures longer than 30s. Ideally, you would need an equatorial tracking mount and a scope that you can reach prime focus on.

Archived