Binocular Advice

I am going to invest in a nice pair of binoculars as carting my 10" Dob in and out of the garden is backbreaking work, lol (will use it when I have clear dark skies). In between these sessions I just want a very quick set up time, and can't think of anything better than a nice pair of binoculars. I was wondering if you could advise what is a great pair of general purpose binoculars for observing both some DSO and planets. I don't particularly want to mount them on a tripod,so hand held would be best. Budget wise I can go up to about £150-£200 max. But obviously if there are cheaper great quality ones, then I would go for them. I have been looking at the Olympus 10x50 DPS-1 on Amazon. They are going for £59.94. Are these any good or could you recommend anything better?

For hand held I'd go for the Nikon Action AE 10X50, very good optics, around £150. Though to be perfectly honest you'll still probably get some shake so it may be worth investing in a cheap monopod to hold it steady. If that's a bit steep price wise, try Strathspey, very good bins at reasonable prices.

Strathspey Binoculars

Cheers

Neil

Viewing comfort with binoculars is as important as the binoculars themselves.

As part of your budget I would invest in a good sun-lounger or as in my case one of the angled fold up camping chairs.

Without either of these you will need a tripod / monopod and will still crane your neck looking at most of the sky.

I have owned

15 x 70 Celestrons and 20 x 80 Helios's (both too heavy without a mount) although they were good for Jupiter and its major moons and Saturn on a good seeing night.

10 x 50 Vixen Ultimas. Probably the best cost / performance bins I have ever owned.

Bright , high contrast , little CA and very lightweight for all metal bins. Again Jupiters Moons were not a problem with these bins and a 5 degree field is great for sights like The Pleiades.

Bresser 9 x 63. Expensive (scopes n skies have a pair reduced to £115.00) Good binoculars but heavy compared to the Vixens and I could not discern any difference in performance.

Current bins are a £15.00 pair of 12 x 50 Praktica's from Cash Converters, with lowly Bak 7 prisms but they are very light and perform well.

I am about to sell my 2 scopes and go back to just binoculars (again) and will be looking for some Vixens again.

Paul

Hi,

Ive been using these for the last couple of years and have found them to be ideal companions to my scopes:

First Light Optics - Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism

(BTW, Astro Baby has done a review of these on her website)

I also have a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70s, which do need a tripod / monopod to be really effective, but which I can't really fault for the 50 squids I paid for them.

Doc

So, the common consensus is that 15x70 are too big for hand held, as I did consider the Celstron Skymaster 15x70 for 64.99 from Harrison Telescopes?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived