NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What low power EP for a F5 1200 focal length Dob

Hi All,

Wondered what would you experienced folk recommend for a F5 1200mm focal length Dob. It would be nice to get the biggest FOV possible without going nuts on the budget. Thanks in advance

Bart

At F/5 32mm is about the longest focal length eyepiece you can use without creating an oversized exit pupil which wastes some of the light gathered by the mirror. In the 2" size you can have an 82 degree field of view in a 32mm eyepiece but such eyepieces are not low cost if they are too work well at F/5. If your budget is tight a Skywatcher Panaview 32mm will give a 70 degree field which equates to 1.86 degree true field of view through an F/5 1200mm focal length scope.

I got the 32mm Panaview from FLO earlier this month (£79 best price I could find at the time) as my first 2" eyepiece and am very happy with it. Goes well with my 200p dob for wide angle viewing.

It dwarfs most of my other eyepieces in size and weight.:)

Archived