Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colour on Jupiter

26Left

I was at my dark site yesterday while my son did his GCSE astronomy course-work (sketching constallations). When I'm there, I normally hunt down DSOs and yesterday, I had great views of the Veil Nebula and easily found the Triangulum Galaxy using my grab-and-go (Skywatcher 100ED on an AZ4).

Just before we left at 2am, I thought I'd have a quick look at Jupiter, which I have never done from that site before. I was amazed to see colour. I have observed Jupiter on and off for the last two years from my home and have only ever seen shades of grey. But, last night, I saw orange/beige colours on the equatial belts - in fact, on the whole disk. A wonderful sight, because seeing was quite good.

I put this colour experience down to one of two things:

1. Perhaps my eyes were better dark adapted. I had already been out for two hours. Difficult in my back garden, because of house lights, street lights etc.
  2. There is much less light polution at my dark sight. NELM is usually 1 magnitude better than at home. Last night, it was 5.5 and it is often 6.0. Perhaps seeing an orange(ish) planet through a fog of orange LP tricks the brain into seeing everything as white and grey; a little like auto white balance on a camera.

Is it normal to see colours on planets? Have I been missing out on something?

By the way, my's son's sketches were very good. I'm a proud dad :)

I struggle to see colour where I live as I live North of Manchester so observe through heavy light pollution.

At the moment I am in France with very dark skies and I can see colour. So I agree with you - a dark site helps.

I see a lot of colour on the gas giants of Jupiter and Saturn with my 80mm refractor.

There is definite colour banding on the planets, however if the seeing conditions are poor i.e too much moisture in the air or turbulence then all I am left with is a fuzzy blob. :)

AFAIK dark adaptation is the last thing you want when viewing the planets. The increased brightness of the planet with dark adapted eyes will blow out the colour and you are viewing with your 'black and white' rods instead of your colour cones. You should have been telling your son to give you a blast with the torch right between the eyes! :)

Tonight I was able to get my first ever sighting of Jupiter, and I could clearly make out a bit of color as well as the two dark stripes across the planet. Incredibly exciting and rewarding view too, because I haven't really achieved much during the last week or so :)

My conditions are not perfect, and my back garden is totally clear of house or big security lights, but you could clearly see the glow of light pollution in the distance :)

Archived