Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starry Night and MacOS Lion :-/

philming

Hi all !

I have installed Lion, Apple's new system software, and as I tried to reinstall Starry Night back onto the machine, I got a message saying PowerPC apps weren't supported any more. I knew that but didn't know SN wasn't an Intel software...

Is there any workaround this ?

Regards,

There may be only one solution - look for an Intel version. Apple have kept a very tight reign on PowerPC emulation (there is no third party software as far as I'm aware) so this may be your only option. Check the Starry Night website for Intel versions, in theory a universal binary should work but I don't know about this with Lion.

I'm running Starry Night download edition v6.3.5 and it runs fine on Lion. So there is a version out there that works :)

I don't know of a work around for old PowerPC apps. Unless you run a virtual copy of Tiger or Leopard on VMWare Fusion and run your old PowerPC apps in that (this is possible). But then you'd be running a virtualised app inside a virtual os so it's probably just a better idea to upgrade...

Steve

I've spoken to Starry Night support and they inform me that a new installer is available for Mac OS X Lion users. You have to email them your name, address, phone, email, version of SN that you are using, your serial # and e-store receipt #.

I've email them my info and I am waiting for a link to the new installer.

However, I have a slight work around that I can only confirm works with SN Pro Plus 6.4.3....

As long as you have it installed under a supported version of Mac OS X and updated it up to 6.4.3, just zip up the entire Starry Night folder that is in your Application folder. It'll end up being around 4.5 gb in size for a complete install w/ an uncompressed AllSky image database. Burn it to a DVD and you'll be able to "Re-install" on any Lion system by simply unzipping it to the Applications folder.

Only two non-issues to keep in mind.... you'll need to re-enter your serial on the first run and the "Pro Plus Updater" which is also a PowerPC app will not run. Future updates will have to be manual installed.

Small price to pay really.

Hope this helps.

Clear Skies,

Nick

Archived