Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on new eyepieces.

Hey all been looking at various eyepieces for my new scope skywatcher 150p dobsonian. The 25mm supplied with the scope is ok but the 10mm(120x) not so. Looking for an eyepiece that will do the job of giving good views of planets and some dso's, I may also want to use it with a barlow. I would like them to be no more that 40 pounds, been looking at the celestron x-cel 8mm but concerned that 300x with barlow will be too much for my scope especially for planetry views it is also on sale and may not last too long. I have also been looking at other eyepieces and wonder if anyone has experience on them. They are celestron omni series most likely 9 or 12mm. meade 4000 series around the same 9-12mm. or vixen npl again the same 9-12 mm. I have also been looking at the astronomica wide angle 10mm eyepiece but dont know if i trust the brand. They will be for mostly planetry and possibly dsos with no barlow. dont want to exeed to much magnification with barlow. Will these give pretty good views of planets etc. the scope is 1200mm and 6" aperture it is f/8. All advice appreciated, thanks :) tyler.

i too am currently using the shipped with ep's with my 150P. having read a lot of threads on here about ep upgrades the TMB range crops up again and again and is right on your budget. these are probably the range im going to move over too eventually.

http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope eyepieces.html

having not yet used them myself i cant give my opinion but im sure someone will be along who can.

I have bought 7 of the TMB clones they sell (the planetary ones for £36) And im most pleased with them Nice big 58 degree field of view. very compfotable eye relief a pleasure to use and i dont think i will part with them even if i manage to get my dream set of Naglers i will keep hold of these. whats more is they are a pleasure to buy from. Only problem is becouse they are so cheap the hafto keep withing a tax limit so they have closed the online shop for a few weeks. but worth the wait if you ask me. im gonna finish my set of and get the remaining 4 making it a set of 11.

The BST Explorers seem to get good write ups from those who have used them and cost around £40 apiece:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/113062-ed-bst-explorer-5mm-8mm-18mm-tmb-clone-3-2mm.html

They are available from here but they have stopped selling until next month now:

1.25" Eyepieces

FWIW I think 300x is too much power for regular use with your scope. Something in the 180x - 240x range would be much more useful on most nights.

Archived