Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Garradd c/2009 P1

I had plans to take a much deeper image of this comet last night but cloud and wind prevented me from doing so! So this is just 8x60s subs stacked on the comet, the gaps in the star trails are due to rejected frames. The field is a little under 0.5 deg.

Should be an interesting little comet well into 2012 reaching mag 6.

Thanks for looking,

Rob.

Garrad_C2009P1_01.bmp

post-15766-133877637999_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great photo.

After a few nights of waiting I got a good view of the comet on Slooh. I'm not yet experienced enough to track comets and photo them myself. But looking forward to photos like this when I've learnt a few things.

Thanks. You don't need to track on the comet though, just take individual subs short enough so as not to show the motion of the comet. When you stack the subs, stack on the comet nucleus and you'll end up with a result like this :)

Still waiting for a good clear night to get a deeper image :)

Thanks,

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

I am practicing posting a photo (I hope). This is a 101 second photo test using a Canon T1i @ ISO 1600. Time: 0105hrs. 8/2/2011.

Eastern Daylight Time (USA). Taken afocally through a 40mm EP and 120mm refractor. I like showing the full field (about 1.5 degrees)

so the camera has an 18mm kit lens on it. Even though there is the inherent field curvature and the need of better focus I'm pleased

I have a record of Garradd passing M15 at 48' 6" distance.

By the way, Rob. Wonderful photo of yours!

Bill

0292garraddm15resize.jpg

Here is another image taken on the same morning as the one above,

but with a different camera.

I take pleasure in using cameras not intended for astro photography.

I used a point and shoot Sony DSC (Digital Snapshot Camera) F 707, also afocally with the same 120mm refractor.

Exposure: Single 30 second frame, field is 1.5 degrees, 25x magnification, tungsten white balance to remove light pollution color cast.

dsc00116au.jpg

Guys, On this morning, my observations of Garradd were cut short due to clouds rolling in from the west. Stalling the task of packing up my equipment, I peeked around the corner of my house toward the east to witness a conjunction of Luna and Jupiter with clouds speeding across them. I quickly set up my tripod and took three shots. In this one, the clouds dimmed the moon just enough to get both objects decently exposed in a single frame.

Moral: Clouds can help on rare occasions!

Sony DSC F-707, ISO 400, 7 seconds. 0317hrsEDT, Jul.24.2011. Tungsten WB.

lunarjovianconjb00077.jpg

Archived