NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next nation to put a human on the moon??

trickytree

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect that the next will be America, again. They have a lot of experience having already done it.

None of the present rockets have the lift of a Saturn 5 and that was built for the moon so whoever has a go will need something as big. Development time.

No other country has a shuttle system, even if the US has just ceased theirs. That is a lot of advancement.

Eventually America may wake up to the fact of being caught up. They have a lot of experience and a lot of technology available to them. Have a look at the 4 replacements for the shuttle. Who else has a choice of 4?

And NASA is doing a nice sales pitch to the younger Americans about space travel/moon/mars.

The best markets are competitive, its a good thing the Likes of China have caught up with the likes of India in the wings. Can we rule out Richard Branson playing a part or will he only he only have eyes on the commerciality aspect? I would of thought he would of loved to walk on the moon before his demise. After watching the complexity of the shuttles last mission,bb2 tonight, I worry about these different companies vying for the business and ultimately to save money cutting corners! The amount of effort and problems to circumnavigate was mind boggling by NASA from what i could see. One overlooked loose screw etc and Challenger all over again. No matter how much the cost in the past USA have wanted to explore and push the boundaries throwing billions at projects over the decades, once this area goes commercial it definatley needs policing.

<wibble> I think there's nothing QUITE like the human perspective or a picture or two? The NASA emphasis on "Deep Space" is exciting. But I would like to have seen e.g. a Jovian Cloudscape "side-on", before I expire... :eek:

Sadly, it's all about weight (mass) and scientific priority? Though I did note that the grand-piano sized (shaped?) "New Horizons" Pluto Probe, made it past lunar orbit in a mere nine hours. :)

Archived