Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap observatories

willcastle

It depends what you mean by "a place" - I assume you mean some kind of permanent set-up where you can keep your scope set up and ready to use? If so then the cheapest is probably a DIY shed made from reclaimed materials. Next up the price scale would be a roll off roof conversion of a cheap wooden commercial garden shed.

Haha yer sorry I deliberately left that vague because permanent would be ideal but a tent with an open roof doesn't really fit that category! But thanks for the suggestions. A run off roof sounds great but would it not limit your field of view to things above you so u miss objects around the horizon?

The only horizon you have to worry about is the South. As the earth rotates it brings a succession of objects into view from month to month. Therefore something on the Eastern horizon as this moment in time will be much higher in the sky and due south in about 6 hours from now. As the months pass the whole "heavens" seems to rotate once in a year so objects that are either not visible tonight (or are simply inconveniently positioned) will be better placed for viewing in a few weeks (or months)

Wow a roll off wall?! Ingenious!! And yer... Patience is definitely something Im getting used to with astronomy!! Wish the moon was higher for me and in the north west... Haha that's where I get my best views..... But if I move my scope I get views right round from south west to east! Just got some annoying trees behind my house to the south!

Depending on how much security your observing location has (see another thread on that topic), your permanent "observatory" can be quite cheap if you're prepared to do some DIY..

All you really need are a permanent pier, your telescope to leave on it and a removable waterproof cover - or "box" to use the technical term :BangHead:

So presuming you can dig a hole somewhere, make a concrete base and a concrete pillar about 1m high, that's your pier. You'll need to set some bolts into it to attach the 'scope. All you need than is some WPB (water & boil proof) plywood, some timber to frame it and a means to protect it from the elephants, sorry: elements (paint, roofing felt), and stop it blowing away when covering your 'scope. It doesn't have to be too big as you'll remove it when you want access to the telescope, so maybe 1.2m square (plywood comes in 1.2 x 2.4m sheets, so that's a convenient size) and tall enough for your pier and scope height. Either a pitched or single-sloped roof and walls that can be detached and a couple of weekends work ....

Archived