Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hitecastro USB EQ Direct Interface help needed!

KE400

Hi

I've just recieved my Hitecastro USB EQ Direct Interface and need help with how I set it up to my laptop.

The unit looks as though it connects directly to my mount (NEQ6 Pro) into the "hand controller" port and the other end looks as though I just connect a USB B to USB cable directly into my laptop. It hasn't come with any drivers but I have downloaded StallariumScope software and also ASCOM Platform 6 too.

Can someone tell me what to do next please as when opening the StallariumScoe software it doesn't seem to find my mount?? :BangHead:

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The first thing you will need to do is get the integral USB - Serial adapter working, for this you will need the drivers, they can be found from the link on this page:

First Light Optics - HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

I would also download the EQASCOM from the EQMOD website (link also on above link), then tell your software that you are using EQMOD as your mount when it asks for the Ascom driver.

Hope this helps, I don't use Stellarium, but the ASCOM bit is self contained anyway, the EQMOD software acts as a very good driver for your mount within ASCOM.

Steve

Hi Paxo,

Thanks for the response, can you please explain the "then tell your software that you are using EQMOD" bit as I'm not sure which software I should be opening exactly. Sorry if |I sound a bit stupid asking!

Do you mean the StallariumScope software or ASCOM?

I had no probs with the HEQ5 version of the EQDIR adaptor in use from the laptop and the mount via USBA/b cable. I use CduC, Ascom, Eqmod and if these are loaded and configured then should be OK.

But, it may be that Eqmod cannot find the right port on your pc/laptop. You may need to download the USB serial driver - mine was Prolific PL2303. Take a look at the Eqmod manual it may well help you

Just taken a quick look at Stellarium and initially could not find where you enter scope etc until I realised that there is a plugin StellariumScope that allows you to enter this info. You have to accept the t&cs for the option panel

Eqmod manual has some pointers for using this s/w

Once you have loaded the drivers, check the Hitec EQDIR module has been recognized under 'system devices'. Right click 'properties' and note which COM port has been assigned to it. You should also have loaded ASCOM and the latest update, and EQMOD (sometimes known as EQASCOM). In Stellariumscope setup select EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6 in the ASCOM Scope Drive window, then 'properties'. Enter site details and EQMOD port details. Make sure the right COM port is selected. You should now be able to connect to the scope (check the scope is ON).

These may be useful: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=chrisshillito#grid/uploads

I am going nuts!!!! Was the right thread. Put it down to sympathetic ancientness. Sympathy accepted.

While I am here, don't forget you can use the sim mode for a telescope and play without worrying about a scope.

Thanks guys,

I'll be giving it another go this aftenoon. Yesterday was a bit of a frustrating one and couldn't find which port was assigned to the scope. I think it was com33 on my laptop but Stallarium Scope only has options of 1 to 16 ?!?!? which was VERY frustrating and so far was unable to progress any further.

Hopefully I'll get a bit more success later. Thanks for your advice and help.

You will need to change the COM port number, this can be done through control panel> system > hardware. Look for the COM ports, once viewing their info (after clicking on it) you can change the com port (through the advanced button I think). If your machine has an inbuilt modem, then Com 1 to 3 or 4 is probably being used, try changing it to 5.

Steve

Archived