Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced C6 RGT Telescope, any good for astrophotography.

simo1222

I have been pondering on a new scope, initially a dobsonian reflector, althought after thinking about it more my intrest has gone into photography, i have been reading a bit into it and mainly found that refractors are more suitable, firstly i would like a bit of advise for a quality refracting scope suitable for photography without spending the world (£1000 budget), i have found one (title) but have little knoledge on the right scope for the job, open to all suggestions. thanks david.

I know next to nowt about astrophotography , most people start off

with a small WO scopes cause their price & quality the RGT is a F8

& from what ive heard that could be a bit slow for AP

have you already got a mount ?

Clear Skies :BangHead:

Hi Simo,

Im guessing if you are looking at the Celestron Advanced Series Scopes, you are looking to purchase a mount. I have looked around and these scopes only come as a set (mount and scope) from Celestron. There are imaging refractors that are quite excellent, due to quality optics and very little need for collimation (Orion, Takahashi etc.). However, they can be very expensive. The Celestron Refractor you are looking at will get descent photos, although it is a little slow at F/8 but can be fixed with long exposures or focal reducer. If you want a faster scope get the Reflector at F/5.

I have a CG5 mount, the one that comes with this scope, and it should get the job done for this size scope. Just remember if you get aperture fever and want a bigger scope the CG5 may not be able to handle it. Not to mention the guidescope and camera you will be attaching to the scope, this will push your mount to its limit.

I think this rig is a great way to start off with. The CG5 can handle photos from 750mm in focal length and will support your refractor and guidescope. I just want to warn you that this is the limit of your mount and if you decide to go bigger you will have to purchase not only a new scope but a new mount as well. I try to help people "future proof" themselves because a good mount is key and most of the SGL imagers are using really sturdy, expensive mounts. And they will be the first to tell you that the mount is the most important part of astrophotography.

I decided to get a Celestron C6-NGT because I wanted to learn before spending thousands of dollars. I dont regret my decision, the learning curve is quite steep and I am glad to learn with the rig I have. You may be going down the same path, and unless you have money to burn this may be your best option. Good luck:)

thanks for the help guys, you are right johnny its does come with the advanced c g5 mount from harrison telescopes. i suppose really what i am asking is it better to get a refractor like this for photography or a reflector (with a good mount). just had a look at the c6 ngc and its not to shabby indeed :BangHead:, do you think that the mount would handle the c10 for AP? i have been looking for a apochromatic refractor because ive heard they have superp optical views for photography but im just not that rich so trying to find an alternative, i was previously going to buy a 12" dob before getting interested in AP so aint ruled out a reflector but are they up to the job for AP?, i just aint sure.

Thanks kris, so what is a slower scope like rgt with f/8 be more suited for? Have been looking at the Celestron Omni XLT 150mm at f/5, would this be more suited for AP, the mount that comes with this is a CG-4 equatorial mount, although it has no motor drive or goto its just a regular mount, would the goto be a requirement for AP, if not what sort of assesories do you require for AP

The C6R is a 6" f8 achromatic refractor, similar to the Skywatcher Evostar 150 and TBH it's not a scope I'd recommend for imaging. For starters the colour correction of achromats isn't good enough and you'd end up halos of colour round many of the stars in the image and possibly some of the object itself too. It also has quite a long focal length (1200mm) which would be a bit tricky on bigger mounts, least of all the CG5 which is definately at the budget end of the GOTO mounts.

I'd always recommend spending most of the money on the mount for DSO imaging which for me would be a HEQ5 minimum and a short, small apochromatic refractor like the ED80. That mount has much better build quality and better tracking while the ED80 has better colour correction and half the focal length of the C6R (600mm) so it's much more forgiving to use.

HTH

Tony..

Hey Simo,

I do recommend getting a reflector, they have a fast F ratio and produce some nice pictures. I would advise against getting the C10. I know Celestron sells it with a CG5 but it is way too heavy for the mount. I say the C6 or C8 is the absolute max in weight for the CG5 because if your doing photography you have to attach a guidescope (although they are getting smaller) a camera and an extra counterweight. The C10-NGT should only be bought for observing. As Whippy was mentioning, once you use a high focal length for photography you need to be spot on accurate. For observing, get the biggest scope you can. For photography, unless its planetary, I would stay around 1000mm with the CG5.

Very simply, I would go for the ED80 on a good HEQ5 GoTo mount.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA

This inexpensive refractor has an incredible track record and is a giant killer.

It really needs a flattener-reducer (available from the manufacturer) and any mount needs an autoguider of some kind. And then you are good to go.

If you'd like to browse an article I've drawn up for my website on setting up an imaging rig then just PM me an email address and I'll send it along.

Olly

thanks for the help, im glad i asked because if i listened to the advertisment and how awesome most of these scopes are for AP then id have a scope thats not up for the job. Conclusion:- its all in the mount. :BangHead:

The fast Newt might well be good but we will have to see. There are challenges in getting fast Newts (or any fast systems) to work to spec. Everything has to be spot on. The premium ones, like the Takahashi Epsilon or Orion Optics AO series, are in the same giddy price bracket as top apochromatic refractors.

Olly

Olly,

I love Newts but why are they the same price as the refractors? I would take an apochromatic refractor over a Newt, but price was always the issue. Refractors always tend to be a bit pricey (at least the ones you mentioned). Is there something special about the Quattro mentioned? Just curious, thanks as usual:)

Thanks for the help guys, just read the artical and its a good little read, although i have a feeling im just skimming the surface, all in all i cant wait till i get my first scope for AP, found one that looks good its the Skywatcher Evostar 100ED DS-Pro Outfit, it comes with a reducer to take it from f/9 - f/7.5, it also comes with the HEQ5 syntrek, would this mount be sufficiant coz anything bigger is out of my pay load.

Personally I'd go for the 80 over the 100. It's faster. F7.7 with reducer is not as fast as the 80s. The ED100s go for quite low prices second hand because they are not the imagers' favourites.

Why are Newts cheaper? Well, a triplet apo has six optical surfaces to figure and six in need of sophisticated multicoating... ANd the glass has to be expensive, too. On a Newt the glass only has to hold a few microns of aluminium in place.

Olly

Archived