Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A new mount

I have a SW Evostar 80ED Pro and a SW 127mm Mak and at the moment i am into visual only and i use a SW AZ4 Alt/Az with steel tripod, later i might want to do some planetary/lunar webcaming photography, but for now i am just into visual.

I am sure a SW mount would be the right choice and for now i do not need goto, so would the HEQ5 SynTrek be a wise choice, i am sure it is exactly the same as the HEQ5 Pro apart from no goto.

I had the HEQ5 Pro with the WO 80mm plus Skywatcher ST80/camera and it was more than sufficient for that setup. I only moved to the NEQ6 as I bought a 10" newt on a whim. I must admit I preferred the Synscan rather that the Syntrek and EQDIR which is what I am using now.

I had the HEQ5 Pro with the WO 80mm plus Skywatcher ST80/camera and it was more than sufficient for that setup. I only moved to the NEQ6 as I bought a 10" newt on a whim. I must admit I preferred the Synscan rather that the Syntrek and EQDIR which is what I am using now.

That is interesting to know and i can upgrade to a synscan from a syntrak at anytime by adding the hand controller i believe.

Go for the Syntrek and, when ready, upgrade using EQMOD/ASCOM via a lappy/netbook and connector (£40 - or make one if you are electrically handy). This is about the same cost as the upgrade (£lappy/netbook = £handset) and has far more functionality and extras like polar alignment, mount error correction, guiding via the software, full goto on ANY object in the chart you are using (most use Cartes du Ceil). All the software mentioned is free and well supported.

I like handsets. The EQmod stuff is absolutely brilliant but when you introduce a laptop you introduce a new level of things to go wrong! Just bear that in mind but the original suggestion is perfectly sound.

Olly

Get the Synscan and have done with it, you wont regret it! I'm glad I did, took ages to get EQMOD/ASCOM working on my laptop and I still have problems with it from time to time.

Thanks for all your replies....What is good is that there is so much you can do with a good mount, but i must admit that using a laptop and all different programs sounds a bit of a logistical nightmare....I like things nice and easy for my hobby as my work is what gives me headaches and problems to solve :)

But it is good to know that the mount has lots of potential, maybe i should wait until i can afford the HEQ5 Pro Synscan and have the goto function initially with the hand controller.

Thanks Guys

Just spotted the EQ5 Pro Synscan which is a lot cheaper than the HEQ5, would this mount be stable enough for my 80mm frac and 127mm mak? and would it still allow for planetary/lunar astrophotography at a later date should i decide to indulge myself, but for the near future i am looking for a quality mount for visual work.

Cheers

Eqmod/Handset - HEQ5

I started with the idea of keeping the whole thing simple and holding onto the handset. One thread here a couple of months into setting up advised dumping the handset and going Eqmod. I took the advice and it was oh so simple. No going back.

The whole is driven from the wife's laptop which is relatively basic but handles all very well incl. PHD, CduC, Eqmod, Ascom etc.

I use the handset for solar and lunar tracking - haven't got to the planets as yet.

Thanks for all your replies....What is good is that there is so much you can do with a good mount, but i must admit that using a laptop and all different programs sounds a bit of a logistical nightmare....I like things nice and easy for my hobby as my work is what gives me headaches and problems to solve :BangHead:

Certainly introducing a PC into the mix brings with it certain overheads in terms of drivers to be installed etc. That isn't something unique to EQMOD though and is something that any regular PC user will no doubt be familiar with.

EQMOD doesn't really add a new level but rather improves an existing one. It is a replacement for the handcontroller which due to its limited interface can be a source of errors itself.

For instance with EQMOD there are seldom issues with time or daylight savings settings because EQMOD uses your PC's clock. Alignment errors are less common because you can chose any star to align on and this can be done directly from a planetarium rather than having to work from a list of named stars. EQMOD also provides a greater range of slew rates available right down to 0.1x sidereal so the mount can be manually positioned with greater accuracy. Then there is the spiral search, RA limits, Horizon limits, Audible alarms/voice prompts and a gamepad control that can integrate both mount and focuser control.

All of these features are there to make practical mount control easier for the user. As for your logistical nightmares - don't worry, its really not that bad. The whole purpose of the ASCOM platform is to allow multiple applications to simultaneously access the mount. Once installed its no more complicated to use than having multiple office applications share a common printer.

Chris.

You could but, and I don't know if others would agree, the hand controller isn't redundant. I use mine for lunar and solar viewing - its easier and simpler, the mount and scope are standalones with no cables other then mount power.

Personally, I haven't used a handcontroller for almost 5 years now. But then my mount is observatory based and all my capture / guiding is via the observatory PC which also controls the mount. For me nothing could be simpler than PC control - just power up, unpark, click on my target and the mount goes there - no new setup required as its all been done previously.

Chris.

I think the obs makes the difference. A permanent set up, cabled up, aligned is a little different as you know from starting from scratch on a regular basis. Thus, for solar/lunar I keep it simple. If I had the space, I'd build an obs - but I ain't sadly.

Gaz I've got a similar setup to yourself and my HEQ5 is the syntrek. I never use the hand controller just a netbook with everything I need on it.

It all depends how comfortable you are with PC's. It's much easier to polar align with EQMOD (I don't drift align). I also have APT, CdC, PHD, Sharpcap, Registax running from the same laptop.

Thanks again guys for your views, i think there is a store in Manchester where i can go as they have some mounts on display as i want to check out how long or fiddly it is to setup an equatorial mount as i have never used one before.

I think using a laptop to control the mount is more aimed at astrophotography than for casual visual work, but should i ever move onto AP then i would have to buy a netbook or something as i have a Mac and my wife's laptop is a top jobbie, so not much chance having them sitting outside on a night when dew is looking for something to suck the life out of.

Archived