Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A new part of the sky

Strugz

Hello there. I am taking my scope down to the Dorset coast in two weeks time. This should mean I can point it towards the South. (usually I'm limited to north and east sky.)

What objects would you put on your target list given this opportunity?

Best , Strugz

Hello there. I am taking my scope down to the Dorset coast in two weeks time. This should mean I can point it towards the South. (usually I'm limited to north and east sky.)

What objects would you put on your target list given this opportunity?

Best , Strugz

At this time of year? Saggitarius and Scorpio. Probably the richest part of the sky for deep-sky objects and the milky way.

If you are comming to Dorset soon, try to make time to vist the Norman Lockyer Observatory on any Friday night. This is our main club night with plenty of large telescopes to view. Do you fancy observing with a 10.5 inch refractor. You never know you may even have a clear night

John

(usually I'm limited to north and east sky.)

Would really be worth your while trying to find a spot near home where you can see towards the south. All objects rise highest in the sky when they're on the meridian (i.e. due south) so this is the best time to see them, with least atmospheric extinction. I always take my scope to a dark site with a good southerly view and usually spend my whole night looking in that direction.

Enjoy your trip and here's wishing you clear skies.

Archived