Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New accessories, can't choose, need help

Guys,

Going to buy some new accessories for my 12" Dob.

Eye pieces, here's what I have

Moonfish, 30mm 2", x50 & 100, a 1.6*tFOV !!!

Hyperion 17mm, x88 & 166

Baader Ortho 5mm, x300 & 600

Televue Plossl, 11mm, x136, & 272

Celestron Ultima x2 barlow

Here's my two choices,

Hyperion 24mm, x62.5 & 125

Hyperion 8mm, x 187.5 & 350

Would people choose the same, eye pieces for their next purchase, or something else in the same price are.

Next,

1.25" Filters.

I've plumbed for Baader UHC and OIII.

I live in a very light polluted area for 99% of my obs, but can, and will , travel when skies darken. Would people choose these, or a Baader Neodyium filter for sky pollution.

All these decisions.

Any info, personal thoughts most appreciated.

Eddie

Hi Eddie

If it were me i would go with the 24mmHyperion.

It would seem to fit in nicely with the range of focal lengths that you already own.

Your 17mm Hyperion and Celestron Ultima 2X would give you almost the equivalent of a Hyperion 8mm.

HTH

Graham

Cheers for the reply Graham.

Just emailed FLO asking questions about street light filters.

Have you ( or anyone else reading) used the Baader Click Zoom eye piece ?

I've gone for ........

24mm Hyp

9x50 RACI finder

Baader OIII 1.25"

Astrozap shroud

queried Neodymium or UHC for better LP blocking.

ah, just checked, and I've asked for 8mm Hyp. Can change upon ordering.

Next on list, when I get back in December is a manual filter wheel, for all those palnetary filters :)

I would choose the UHC and OIII filters as these do the same job as any LP filter, maybe better. You won't regret getting these superb filters, I have the SW ones and they're great, Baader probably better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the DGM Optics NPB filter, i've read that it is supposedly a little narrower than the Lumicon UHC so i'd go with any of those two, whichever is cheaper (if you can find them of course).

The Baader UHC-S filter you mentioned is more in the middle of a LP and true narrowband filter. The O-III is even narrower and would be perfect for many objects while a UHC filter is a nice all-round filter for most nebulae (except for reflection nebulae)

As you have a large aperture 'scope i wouldn't bother with a LP filter, the narrowband filters cut off more of the unwanted wavelengths and will give you much more contrast so i would go with a true narrowband UHC filter (like the DGM, Lumicon or Astronomik) and the Baader O-III (It's more expensive than the competitors but i've read that you get what you pay for with this filter).

I'm only a newbie but this is what i've understood from the hundreds of reviews i read before buying my UHC filter, i'm sure someone else has more insight on filters than me.

//Anders

Archived