Large prominence on the sun

Roel

Today I made the first sketch through my new 70mm modded PST. The scope showed a lot of detail, but a large prominence on the northwest limb was the most stunning feature. It was large, wide, and it changed shape within minutes. I made two sketches, one at 12.00UT and one 20 minutes later, at 12.20UT. The prom clearly changed shape an structure a bit and the base was much wider. It looked as if the prominence was falling back to the sun!

I sketched with graphite pencil on white paper, inverted the sketch and pulled all the levels to "red" (:)) with Photoshop.

Schets_zon_15jun11-291x300.jpg

Full size version: http://www.roelblog.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Schets_zon_15jun11.jpg

I can say I'm VERY happy with my new telescope!

Two excellent sketches, well done.

It's just a shame that using a laptop is infinitely easier than learning to draw at that level - otherwise I'm sure we'd all be trying it.

Archived