Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How Many More Times?

barkis

Ho may times are we going to see the same telescope on Ebay.

Somebody is going to get a nasty surprise shortly. The auction has about 3 hours to run, and the bid stands at £1220 for a 10" LX200.

The whole thing stinks. The seller won't allow collection. I have emailed to ask why he won't take cash on collection. I will be amazed if I get a reply. I don't know if Admin want to call a halt to more posts on this subject, as it crops up so often. I just feel I would not want it to be me on the wrong end of one of these scams.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meade-10-LX200-GPS-Telescope-wUHTC-Full-Accessories_W0QQitemZ170090308336QQcategoryZ3636QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ron.

I have emailed ebay 4 times since saturday on this issue, basically they do not give a damn. I had an email from this guy yesterday apologising for taking a week to reply as he is on his honeymoon. As you say, someone is seriously going to be out of pocket, unless they have the common sense not to use paypal.

below is the text from his email which i have copied and pasted directly here.

"Hello,

Thank you for your email.I am sorry for my late reply but right now i am in my honeymoon.The reason i have asked to be contacted before bidding is that i want to sell it faster and i want to find a buyer immediately. You don`t have to bid and win the auction so you can buy it....if you are really interested i reserve the right to end the auction and make the transaction with you. . The price i am looking for is 1220 gbp with shipping and handling included. If this is a reasonable price please let me know and i can make the transaction with you through eBay and i SOLD It, so the deal will be very legit and safe and will not be outside eBay. You will also have a 7 days return policy. If you have other questions please email me ASAP. I will also want you to reply either way so i will know what to do.

Regards"

:) who ever has id for that`s amuppet i mean it hasn`t even ot a proper picture of it.

I mean surely if he`s doing astronomy and he has got a telscope like that you`d have a camera with it, therfore he should be able to take a picture of it.

Yes this infuriates me. :) I have posted a couple of fakes on here the last couple of days - two got removed immediately (maybe a coincidence).

This one and another still remain! The other one has lots of catalogue pictures - of two different scopes!!!! (an LX and an RCX)!! Maybe ebay have checked and they are both genuine but I doubt it very much? I will have one more go at reporting it.

Bill£

I saw this myself earlier..

If you think the add looks sus look at the bidder history.. Bidder 1, Bidder 2, Bidder 3 etc and the current highest bidder is Bidder 8. Either were looking at the worlds worst scam artist or there's something else going on.

Scott

You will notice that the bidding is done by bidder 1 bidder 2 etc, if you open the list of bidders and put your mouse over bidders 7 and 8 you will notice that bidder 8 has no history. I think this is the guy using the schilling method which is actually not only against ebays rules but illeagle in law as it is a form of fraud. He is basically bidding on his own item thus pushing up the bidding from bidder 7 who looks legit.

Well guys, there is not much can be done now. The guy who won it, bidder 8, I checked his other purchases, and his only astro buy was a Meade eyepiece. I was right, in as much as I did not expect a reply to email on the cash on collection issue.

I have a faint recollection of seeing the winners name before, and I am inclined towards it being for a telescope on that occassion too. I have to admit though, If I was giving evidence, I could not swear to it. Perhaps I getting a bit paranoid over this issue, and I am wondering whether we should be acting as ebay policemen, when ebay themselves seem reluctant to do the job themselves.

Maybe those of you who have intervened where you thought you needed to, might well have saved some poor soul a lot of distress.

I for one will keep perusing the telescope sales, and keep an eye on the suspicious ones.

Cheers.

Ron. :)

i sent the buyer an e-mail telling him not to part with his cash, he replied and said thanks, so hopefully he is checking things out. He is new to astronomy and was looking for a deal, I have advised him to visit this site instead of getting ripped off.

Good man Proflight2K., lets hope we got it right and you have saved the guy a bucket of money.

Ron.

i sent the buyer an e-mail telling him not to part with his cash, he replied and said thanks

Good work proflight! You will have to excuse me for being stupid but I didn't realise you could email the buyer, I would have been very tempted.

Sound advice to look through SGL beforehand.

Bill£

Of course I hope that a genuine bidder has just been saved £1350... but I'd be a little more careful about directing people from Ebay to this site.

If the winner isn't genuine (and some doubt has been cast over how genuine Bidder 8 is) this is a great source of info to make scams more believable and harder to detect in the future.

I hope this isn't the case but you never know.

Scott

Archived