Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Variable focal length eyepieces

I've been adding some new eyepieces to my wish list (a necessity since I'm purchasing a new focuser and my old ones won't fit) and being rather short of cash (isn't everyone?) I've been looking at some good branded multiple focal length eyepieces with the one piece ranging from 8mm to 32mm in stepless variation. I'm considering the Vixen or William optics as they appear to be of high quality (and price) and just wondering whether anyone actually uses these devices.

I'm making an assumption that they won't beat dedicated single purpose eyepieces but thought till I could get the money together for a decent set of individual units it would be a cheap option to suit my reqirements for the time being.

Thanks!

Hi Leo,

If your budget can stretch to it I think the Baader Mark III Zoom is the best in it's class without spending silly money (for less range of mags, eg Nagler 3-6mm).

Great range of mags, only (small) drawback is 50deg FOV at 24mm setting - but the others are 60deg which is respectable.

HTH

Dave

Archived