NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

small camera lens...

garethmob

iv looked everywhere for this but i cant find it anywhere :D

i'll say what iv got, stock 18-55 auto and 3 manual prime, 58mm, 135mm and 200mm

now id like a manual one in the same if not lower range of the 18 but i cant for the life of me find one

iv looked on ebay just random numbers , id rather the ef/s or m42 thread but i cnt find any :p

gazz

the problem is, you're asking for something that's both cheap and wide angle... I think you're going to struggle to get one cheaply... I've looked for both m42 and om mount fisheye lenses, and they are going for about £200 ish on ebay. For that you could look at something like...

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk - Used Secondhand Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM, Canon EF Fit

If it's the focus, it's not gonna be any easier using a manual only lens, although you may find infinity really does mean infinity. On the kit lens, and a number of others, the end stop is not infinity, it's a little beyond.

its not the 18mm isnt wide enough, its that i cant focus it for astro, its the non IS version. its great for normal pics though but my astro ones i cant get the pin point focus with it as its not got a ∞ symbol my attempts av usally ended with me neally throwing it.... lol

I've the IS one, and it's just the same.. getting pin point focus is a complete pain. I have seen it suggested to make a Y mask and shoot a frame, and adjust based on that. You might need to shoot 10 or so focus frames to get it right.

the lens seems to av been made with out any thought, it was made i think for the 300d.... the only digital lens at the time, and to a rather plasticy flimsy one at that... compaired to my 1940's bombproof russian designed 58mm one, which lens do you use for your really widefields john? if u dont mind me asking

Depends on how wide... Orion fits rather neatly in the FOV of the EF 50mm, just as plasticky as the kit lens :D and to be honest, really really cheap for what you get... I have an old 24mm Oly OM mount lens, but that doesn't really work so well with digital, too many reflections from the sensor (gets tricky with anything light nearby), if I can step any external light sources getting anywhere near it, it works rather nicely, and doesn't overweigh the EQ1 too much either. Other than that, it's the 18-55. I have just got a 17-85 lens, but that'll have to go on the HEQ5 piggy back... it weighs too much for my EQ1.

One day, I may get a super wide/fisheye, but I've other lenses I want first.

Focussing will not improve going for a manual focus lens as even with AF lens manual focus should be used to get pin point focus. A Y mask may help but realistically it will be difficult without the benefit of live view and x5 and x10 magnification. You are limited by taking a shot and adjusting the focus after checking the image at 100% on a computer.

I wouldn't like to focus on any DSLR using just the viewfinder.

I use a fast Canon 24mm f1.4 lens which does help focussing through the viewfinder but luckily my camera bodies have live view which makes life a lot simpler.

thanks kev i havent taken my laptop outside yet, the camera - usb - laptop picture transfire takes ages (its a 2gig but slow cf card) and my card reader,s powered :D

iv never tried pics on the eq2's only my eq3 on a dovetail thanks for the advice guys i guess i better perfect it more just spend £100 on my video setup :p

Archived