Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak-Newtonian Collimation Advice

Recently bought a Mak-Newtonian 190mm.Had a problem with "slop" in the focusser which was subsequently changed by the supplier with what looks to me exactly the same as the first one.

Fitted the new focusser, collimated with a laser/confirmed with a Cheshire, all looks OK, except when I put a collimating cap (plastic cap with 2mm hole in the middle) I cannot see the 3 clips holding the primary.Looking straight up the focusser tube with nothing fitted, I can see the 3 clips but not with the cap in place.

I had collimated with the original focusser in place but have no recollection of this being a problem.

Haven't been able to do a star test yet.Advice I have had is "if the star test is ok, don't worry about it". Would appreciate input from anybody but especially Mak-Newtonian users as to weather this advice is valid?

I think that's pretty much the advice I'd give you. Get out and use the scope, put it through it's paces and then analyse your results. If you are happy with your images then don't worry about the collimation idiosyncrasies.

I have an almost perfect collimation with mine, and yet I don't see all the clips with both the colli cap or Cheshire. It's either one or the other. Same as with Hotech laser collimation, neither give the same results.

There is always going to be some slop showing up somewhere during collimation. Find a method that gives the best results for you and stick with it.

Archived