Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ideal viewing site

prbaxter

Hello all,

I usually head out of the city to do my observing, but this is far from ideal as I tend to end up in places that seem to attract alcoholic youths and doggers - particularly on full moons when everyone seems to be out and about at night, just wandering around the countryside.

But last week we got our first allotment site, which as it happens is securely locked off to the outside world and contains no immediate lighting. Once we get our plot established, I might look at turning a small cornerof the plot in to a flat stable place idea for a scope.

Has anyone else used their allotment for this? I know that's not what they're there for, but its a great use of the space after the sun goes down and more often than not, completely secluded.

Yeah, all that stuff is a real pain. First time I tried a quiet site, I was blown away by how much traffic there was. But why are you there on a full moon night? Might as well view from home on those occasions.

Other options are to ask your local club where they view. See if there is any private land you can view on. Ask farmers or National Trust areas. Good luck!

I usually go on google maps and use the street view to find potential locations, then during the day i drive there to see how accessable it is. Ive found some great sites where there are no chavs.

But you need to be comitted in driving and looking, as what you see on google maps can be misleading. My best locations have where found whille traveling to spots i highlighted using googlemaps.

Hope that helps :D

yeah I tried th google map technique. very handy. The only problem is it doesn't show contours and altitude changes. I found a great spot nearby, but it's right next to a sheer drop. Not somewhere I want to be messing around in the dark.

viewing moon, yes best done at home, problem is the houses get in the way for the most part.

particularly on full moons when everyone seems to be out and about at night, just wandering around the countryside.

Why head for a dark site at full moon? I never go to mine unless I know the moon will be below the horizon. The moon is the second biggest source of natural light pollution after the sun. A full moon is 9 times brighter than a half-illuminated one.

Good luck with the allotment viewing, sounds nice.

And for site finding, use large-scale OS maps: as well as contours you'll see public bridleways etc which can be good for off-road parking and seclusion.

Why head for a dark site at full moon? I never go to mine unless I know the moon will be below the horizon. The moon is the second biggest source of natural light pollution after the sun. A full moon is 9 times brighter than a half-illuminated one.

My garden view is blocekd by buildings on the south side so I miss the moon at its highest point in the sky. I tend to catch it later during moonset to the west but thats not great for astrophotography.

thanks for the tips on OS maps. one of the biggest issues I have with finding a site is leaving the car out of sight.

Archived