Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grrr... (not really a review, more of a rant)

I had just packed everything up after a test session the other day, popped the scope (FLT110) back in its case, turned the left clasp... <locked>, turned the right clasp... <explodo!>

_0024782b.jpg

I now have a semi-permanently locked clasp, and no option obvious to me other that to use a padlock to hold that side closed, and not very tightly closed at that.

_0024787b.jpg

_0024789b.jpg

Considering how well built the rest of the case is, why on earth did they use such **** metal on a part which, in normal use, takes a fair bit of strain? I've used countless flight-cases like this over the years, from transporting scientific equipment to gigging-gear for bands, and never seen a clasp go like this. I've seen plenty of panel rivets go, but not a single lock-clasp, at least, not from material failure.

:D

Got the plate today... looks good for a refit. :( The rivet holes are identically spaced, the plates themselves even have the right shaping around the case trim! The only difference is the new plate is more deeply recessed, but this shouldn't be a problem - the case cut-outs should accommodate them. The only worry was the price... £6.66. :) Could be a devil of a job.

/gets coat

_0024856b.jpg

Thanks again for the heads-up Glen - you've saved me a load of trouble. :)

Saying that might as well buy 2 and be done with it, and carefully drill out the rivets where the padlock goes? if it fits and a better build quality that is..:)

rofl... Glen, that's exactly what I said to my mate Iain as we drove away from the place, but we were already in the midst of Friday afternoon Glasgow traffic by that point. I'll no doubt take a trip back in soon though, just in case the other clasp decides to go nuclear. For the sake of another fiver (give or take), it's worth it.

Tom, thanks, and yep... only a month or two to go 'til the new season.:)

Archived