Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Processing help

drumsolo

Hi all,

I need help badly with post processing. I have my first attempt of M13 attached stacked with 3 subs of 1 min and 2 darks. I have also attached my attempt at post processing. I am really struggling to bring out the detail without over tweaking. I would really be grateful for some help with basic processing techniques. Also what colours should I be seeing on this kind of image? The single subs I took had a blueish appearance, is that a more true likeness than my processed version?

Please help!

Thanks

Stuart

post-24534-133877629973_thumb.jpg

post-24534-133877629978_thumb.jpg

Stuart, have you read through the link to my primers? You have pulled quite a bit out but have burnt out the core. M13 is a challenge to process because of the large dynamic range - the core is very bright compared to the outer regions. To really nail this you actually have to use some fairly advanced layering techniques. For now use levels and curves making sure that the core doesn't become burnt out.

The other issue left to sort is the red colour bias. This is sorted by using levels, selecting each individual channel and adjusting the left hand slider so that it is just up to the left side of the start of the historgram. There is a bit of vignetting but I wouldn't worry about this too much at the moment

Archived