Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OIII or UHC filter for my DSLR (and viewing)

Simms

Just wondered if its worth me getting a-hold of either a OIII for a UHC for use with my DSLR and imaging nebulas etc. If so, whats a good one to get, bearing in mind good doesnt mean the most digustingly expensive - something mid-range in terms of price and quality.

I would have thought a UHC filter would work well with a DSLR on nebulae. It would be effective at reducing the effects of light pollution whilst allowing through the key wavelengths of emission nebulae. A UHC would be more versatile than an OIII

Hello Simms, DSLR's are poor at capturing S2 and O3 but will image in Ha, for nebula a CLS filter will give better contrast as it has broad bands and a UHC filter will be even stronger and will show better shape to nebula, Ha needs very long exposures to work with a DSLR. The UHC image will need colour rebalancing.

John.

Hello Sara, the UHC filter has a blue/green passband of 35nm and a red passbandof about 50nm so no deep blue no yellow and no orange so this unbalances a bit and tends to give green stars. Your DSLR will have a white balance preset mode which you can use, by snapping a grey colour piece of card with the UHC filter your DSLR will call that white and rebalance, you could always rebalance/tweek with Photoshop as well.

John.

Archived