Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help - Observing and Imaging - Double Set Up

I recently purchased a Meade LX90 10". I had to return it due to a fault with primary mirror. I am taking the opportunity to assess what I want to do.

I have teenage Kids who are really interested in the solar system and will want to see the planets - so I was thinking about a Nexstar 6SE or 8SE - something quick and easy to set up. (Set Up 1)

At the same time I have been into photography for 20 years and am really interested in astrophotography - although less planetary more DSO's and galaxies. I was thinking about a SW ED 80 - the main options being either a GEM or astrotrac. In terms of this set up will the ED 80 be suitable as it is principally a widefield scope. (Set up 2)

Forgive the ignorance but any advice gratefully appreciated.

I am thinking about something similar, although I plan to put both scopes on the same mount.

Had thought about this and it is still an option but was looking at the Nexstar for quick set up and relative portability meaning it is easier to take to the darker sites.

Would have to go for a GEM or Astrotrac for set up 2 though

I would be looking at a faster scope for imaging (eg. f5), the ED-80 is f7.5, but you could get a reducer for it and it will probably need a flattener (they're often combined). The FOV also depends on the camera. A small ccd will give a small FOV even with the ED-80, but an DSLR will give a wide'ish FOV. I prefer wide (ie. about 2 degrees) as it makes tracking so much easier and with a 10MP DSLR you can always crop the image if the object is small. You could also use the 8" sct, with a f6.3 reducer, for the smaller objects with its longer focal length.

I think the astrotrack will only support a camera, not a scope, so I would go with a HEQ5 (-pro for goto) minimum.

I would be looking at a faster scope for imaging (eg. f5), the ED-80 is f7.5, but you could get a reducer for it and it will probably need a flattener (they're often combined). The FOV also depends on the camera. A small ccd will give a small FOV even with the ED-80, but an DSLR will give a wide'ish FOV. I prefer wide (ie. about 2 degrees) as it makes tracking so much easier and with a 10MP DSLR you can always crop the image if the object is small. You could also use the 8" sct, with a f6.3 reducer, for the smaller objects with its longer focal length.

I think the astrotrack will only support a camera, not a scope, so I would go with a HEQ5 (-pro for goto) minimum.

Thanks - I shoot with a 5D Mark 2 - full frame sensor - which should give a wider FOV. I suppose faster options include the Williams optics range.

The other option I suppose would be to blow the budget and get a Edge HD 8 with fastar which enables you to work at F2 ?

Thoughts ? Although the quick and and easy setup of a Nexstar - purely for visual also appeals ?

GEMs are just as quick to setup, even for imaging. I've got mine on the go now, took 15mins to take out of the house and position, 30mins to align to a few stars and point to the Carina nebula (spot on first time), check focus start guiding and start shooting. Less than that for visual and you'll need to star align the Nexstar anyway. Putting alignment marks for the tripod on the ground makes it easy, no more polar aligning each time, along with EQmod.

Not sure what your budget is, but factor in quite a bit for unexpected bits and pieces!

Cheap fast scopes are Newtonians, but the F2 fast star would be quite something, although I don't know the pitfalls of such a fast system.

Thoughts ? Although the quick and and easy setup of a Nexstar - purely for visual also appeals ?

Seems like a good choice for planetary observing. You want a long focal length and a small central obstruction. Some believe refractors give better contrast on the planetary detail but they won't give you much bang for your buck.

As has been said, you want a fast scope for imaging, although the faster a Newtonian is, the more hassle you will have with collimation.

Archived