Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner Telescope for £500??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Malcspiring and Jandy100, comments appreciated - Malcspring, i was looking at the very scope you have for a while anyway and came close to buying it, but i live in a good location and have no issue with a large OTA and heavy mount as I am mainly viewing from my garden, hence going with the 200p on EQ5, which, I am so happy with. already some superb views had with it, and at the worst time of year i suppose too. Now I am going to focus on decent EPs and adding small accessories as i go along - the synscan is on the list.

Forgot to say, I joined a local astronomy club recently too, as advised. I have tried a couple of there scopes out and had some great advice from them too. roll on the winter?!! Hmm.

The 200P on the EQ5 is a great choice in my opinion, I bought the same and have never regretted it, a good EP I bought was the SW Panaview 32mm for DSO's and great wide sky views, pin sharp, my most used EP, but choose a Panoptic if you can afford it, perhaps the 24mm, some good reviews on this forum. My advice is to stick to the longer focal ratios to start with as higher mags are a bit touch and go with fast scopes, be careful what you go for when considering high mags. I have only bought a smaller frac recently because I had a stroke and can't manage the 200P as easily as I used to. But the 200P is a great and most flexible scope. Well done for choosing this one, which I used to break down and set up in 5 mins to take to a dark site. But from the garden a mile from Swindon town centre it's also great esp. with filters (see signature) the SW LP filter is also good. Do enjoy your new toy as much as I have. Clear skies! :BangHead:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, thanks for the tip on the deep sky EP. I was looking at jupiter on Saturday night (actually 1am Sunday morning!) and since collimating it properly the views were so much better, but with the standard lens that came with the 200p i can't get the magnification i am really after. I can see detail in the colour of Jupiter and also 3 of the moons, but i just know it is capable of even closer and more detailed views. this must be the lens? it's a 10mm with 2x Barlow. any suggestions on different lenses for better views of jupiter? (initially). thank you in advance!

Archived