Stephan's Quintet.

ollypenrice

First go at this for 2011. I have a Nagler 26 in the half meter Dob now and get a brighter image from the smaller exit pupil than I had last year using a 35 Panoptic.

Well, they are still faint, the little devils! However, NGC7331 is easy to find and then it is a short hop to the famous five.

They were discovered about 100Km from me at Marseille Observatory near the end of the 19th Century.

It is always nice to pay them a wee visit...

Olly

Nice note, Olly. Stephan's Quintet is a favorite of mine in my 18", when the sky cooperates. I've heard NGC7331 referred to as Deerlick Galaxy, and it is my pointer to the quintet.

Quite a catch under less than perfect skies.

Hi

Gonna give these a bash later in the year when they're a bit higher.

No point in driving to a real dark sky this time of year, as it isn't dark for long enough.

certainly don't think I'll see em from the smoke.

Regards steve

Some massive dobs you guys have at your disposal. Must be like seeing all those familiar objects for the first time never mind those that a bit more elusive when observing with such huge apertures combined with some very dark skies.

Feel like I have not really seen anything like enough of the night sky compaired to what I would like to.

No surprise to read I have tried to see it with my 925 but have never had the pleasure. It was probably there but the scope and skies here are not going to do it for me I would think.

I'm looking forward to getting my mitts on that dob of yours again some time in the future Olly. I had my best views ever looking Sir Isaac.

That's good to know, Martin! He's missed you... Indeed, with a 26 Nagler the views are brighter now and Ralf Ottow has done some work on the optics with more to come in September - a new secondary.

Olly

Nice report, it's a great target. I've seen the group with an 8" (and plossl eyepiece) at my dark site but couldn't split all the members, with a 12" I could.

Haven't yet managed all of Copeland's Septet or Seyfert's Sextet though. The Hickson list has a lot of gems, I've been slowly working my way through the brighter ones with the 12".

http://www.raycash.us/deepsky/besthick.htm

http://astronomy-mall.com/Adventures.In.Deep.Space/HCG.xls

Nice report, it's a great target. I've seen the group with an 8" (and plossl eyepiece) at my dark site but couldn't split all the members, with a 12" I could.

Haven't yet managed all of Copeland's Septet or Seyfert's Sextet though. The Hickson list has a lot of gems, I've been slowly working my way through the brighter ones with the 12".

The Best and Brightest Hickson Compact Groups of Galaxies

http://astronomy-mall.com/Adventures.In.Deep.Space/HCG.xls

I think your eyes are better than mine!

Olly

I think your eyes are better than mine!

Thanks, but my ageing eyes are nothing special - I've just got lots of patience. I gave Stephan's Quintet the best part of an hour before satisfying myself I'd seen all the members. Increasingly I find that pretty much all NGCs are viewable with the 12" if I give it long enough. Would still love to have your sort of aperture though!

I could just see them from a dark site (kielder) with a 10" . 3 were there but very faint and a fourth came and went with averted vision. Only seen them once though. NGC 7331 is a good one for smaller scopes.

Archived