New scope - dew shield and other essentials..

Hi all,

Another dew shield question... to buy/make now, or can I wait?

From looking at other forum posts, it seems like a dew shield is very useful... I have just bought my first telescope, a Celestron NexStar 6SE, so it is a SCT model, I've read a few times that a dew shield is particularly recommend for this type of telescope?

What I was wondering about though, is dew a problem all year round (sorry, that sounds like such a dumb question, but I've honestly no idea!), or is it more of a problem during particular seasons/months? I'm really trying to make a judgement call on whether this is an essential purchase now, or if it is something I can put off to when I'm going to really need one.

I guess also while I'm here, is there anything else I really should be looking to get right now? Here's what I have so far:

Celestron NexStar 6SE (with 9mm and 25mm eyepieces)

Celestron Eyepiece kit (6mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 32mm, 2x barlow, plus filters)

Portable Power Tank

Red light torch

Having got that lot I'm already on value beans for the next month or so :hello2:, so at the moment I'd like to restrict further spending to "must haves".

Thanks for any and all advice,

Matsey

I would say that a dew shield is pretty much essential year round. It varies night to night, but the very worse thing is that you have a clear night and your corrector fogs up within 20 min and there is nothing you can do about it :D

The good news is that a £1.50 Asda black foam camping mat, some scissors and a bit of sticky tape or sticky velcro pads are every bit as effective as a £30 shop bought dewshield. The length of your dew shield should be about 1.5x the aperture of your scope. Okay it won't look so attractive and probably won't last as long but hey...it cost a quid :hello2:

I have no idea why Mak's and SCT's don't come with a dew shield as standard :hello2:

Yes, that's true. Prehaps the manafaturers prefer the owners to customise or purchase their own make Rik? I know I enjoy customising my Dob, and have seen lots of very inventive ideas on SGL, in particular to dew shields.. :D

Hi guys,

Thanks all for the advice on this one, particularly that it is indeed an all-year round problem. Really helpful, and so quick with responding too, really appreciate it.

So I will definitely sort myself out a dew shield asap. Never been much of a make-it-yourself person, but I'm going to have a go anyway, I'll nip out tomorrow and get the materials I need.

Thanks again,

Matsey

Hi all,

Another dew shield question... to buy/make now, or can I wait?

From looking at other forum posts, it seems like a dew shield is very useful... I have just bought my first telescope, a Celestron NexStar 6SE, so it is a SCT model, I've read a few times that a dew shield is particularly recommend for this type of telescope?

What I was wondering about though, is dew a problem all year round (sorry, that sounds like such a dumb question, but I've honestly no idea!), or is it more of a problem during particular seasons/months? I'm really trying to make a judgement call on whether this is an essential purchase now, or if it is something I can put off to when I'm going to really need one.

I guess also while I'm here, is there anything else I really should be looking to get right now? Here's what I have so far:

Celestron NexStar 6SE (with 9mm and 25mm eyepieces)

Celestron Eyepiece kit (6mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 32mm, 2x barlow, plus filters)

Portable Power Tank

Red light torch

Having got that lot I'm already on value beans for the next month or so :hello2:, so at the moment I'd like to restrict further spending to "must haves".

Thanks for any and all advice,

Matsey

I'm getting a 6se this month with the sale and all.

From the advise I got - making my own dew shield!

well I've managed to buy some velcro at least, just need some black material... I think the mat from Asda will be my first choice, see how it goes.

hellothere123 - yes, kind of agree with you about the eyepieces, I mainly bought the set so I could have a variety to try out - once I settle on the few I'll be using frequently, I'll most likely upgrade those to better quality eyepieces... that'll be a while yet though, spent enough already !!

Archived