Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dso with a celestron ps 127eq

Hi me again just tell me if your gettin sick of non stop questions :hello2: because of the constant cloud and monsoon weather I haven't had chance to use my new(and first) telescope which is a celestron ps 127eq much only a bit of lunar viewing which I found amazing, my next target is to try for saturn, anyway I was wondering is it actually possible to view dso's with this scope? Has anyone had any experience using this scope?its probably a long way off yet as I'm still learning and I know its not like many of the amazing scopes I've seen on here but everyones gotta start somewhere right? Cheers john

Hi John.

Suggestion from someone who has thousands of useless images stored. As well as an odd good one, or maybe two.

I'm assuming you are using a DSLR of some sort.

Start with bright large objects. M42 suggested by Neil is a very good choice. But the time of year is wrong.

Start with your DSLR + lens on the mount. It is much easier to get good images in a few seconds on these wide views. My album shows Orion taken in this way.

Then progress to a telephoto lens. With this the exposure times increase so you will need to take more care on mount alginment and calibration.

When you get good results here, try the camera on the narrower field scope. Then it starts getting involved.

Good luck with the photos.

.... I was wondering is it actually possible to view dso's with this scope? ....

Yes, it's possible to see lots of deep sky objects with your scope. I has a relatively narrow field of view so it won't show the whole of the very large objects like the Andromeda galaxy but there are loads of DSO's that will fit easily into a 1 degree field of view.

As has been mentioned, you won't see the colour that the photos show but that goes for any scope less than a pretty massive one !.

Objects like the Ring and Dumbell nebulae, the double cluster in Perseus, the globular clusters M13 and M92 in Hercules and brighter galaxies such as M81 and M82 are well worth hunting down :hello2:

Thanks guys, I haven't got the equipment for that kind of photography yet maybe in the near future but I was just wondering if it was possible to view them through the scope with no cameras or whatever I'd just like to observe them if that's possible? Apologies if my questions seem a bit naïve or stupid I'm extremely new to this

Archived