NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher mounts/tripods bought separate?

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to buy tripod legs separate from the mounts themselves. I was just wondering as I currently have the EQ3-2 with the aluminium legs and I would like to buy some steel tube legs similar to the EQ5. I thought this might be a good path to upgrade properly to the EQ5 or EQ6 given time (and money) and would be a good route to take to upgrading as it is more affordable and gradual.

Thanks

Brian

Nice one Peter! Thanks for the link. And thanks for the shameless plug John. Unfortunately I'm a bit skint at the moment as I'm just about to embark on a 3 week campavan tour of Europe, so all my money is tied up. I might get back to you on that when I return though but don't feel obliged to hang on to them though. They're a lot cheaper than I anticipated brand new so I might just go for the 2" version anyway.

The 2" tripod legs are for the EQ6, they may not be suitable for the EQ3-2. There are some differences to the top of the tripod where the mount is attached. Also have a look on Astroboot, there are some "Vixen light green" EQ5 tripod legs for £14 a set. These will fit your tripod top and will be better than the thinner aluminium legs supplied with EQ3-2.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo Out There: I don't know if this is the right section of SGL. I have a Skywatcher Skymax 127 scope on a Supatrak mount. The scope is fine, but I find this mount is very dissatisfying; it doesn't track very well and I find I'm fighting it constantly to keep objects in view, even at low magnifications. I want to change to an equatorial mount. I do afocal imaging with A fuji Finepix S5700 camera and hope to mount a Fuji Finepix S2950, weighing 470g. Can't afford the best, but need something adequate. Can anyone advise me on a minimum requirement please? Indeed, do I have to have a Skywatcher mount?

Hallo Out There: I don't know if this is the right section of SGL. I have a Skywatcher Skymax 127 scope on a Supatrak mount. The scope is fine, but I find this mount is very dissatisfying; it doesn't track very well and I find I'm fighting it constantly to keep objects in view, even at low magnifications. I want to change to an equatorial mount. I do afocal imaging with A fuji Finepix S5700 camera and hope to mount a Fuji Finepix S2950, weighing 470g. Can't afford the best, but need something adequate. Can anyone advise me on a minimum requirement please? Indeed, do I have to have a Skywatcher mount?

It doesn't have to be a Skywatcher branded mount. Any suitable equatorial mount will do. Vixen, Celestron, Orion USA.

Peter

Archived