Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Green Meteor?

Space Oddity6

Just stuck my head out of the window to see if it's a clear night (it is) and was about to turn around when a bright light caught my eye. Its brightness suggested it was close, with almost the same luminosity as the ISS but it moved downwards very quickly (it was gone in maybe 2-3 seconds) and carried a distinctive green tinge.

My first thought was a firework but there was no sound, no explosion of flares and no others set off afterwards.

The green tinge and the speed of the way it moved would also seem to rule those Chinese lanterns.

Anyone have any idea what I might have seen? Can meteorites take on a green colour?:)

A great many minerals are on our planet from meteor strikes ( before our time). I may be wrong but to me green would suggest the meteor you saw may have copper with in it.

Yes. The green colour may be an emission of ionized copper as has been suggested. :)

Very cool. I'm guessing the meteor was probably not much bigger than a pea?

I have to admit a few minutes after I saw it I did have visions of embarking on a great adventure of me going off to find the impact site - then I remembered I'm 22! :)

Very cool. I'm guessing the meteor was probably not much bigger than a pea?

I have to admit a few minutes after I saw it I did have visions of embarking on a great adventure of me going off to find the impact site - then I remembered I'm 22! :)

I saw a huge fireball come over the other week and was expecting to see in the news it had took out a small village the thing was so big. I guessed it must have landed somewhere baron as there was no mention of it.

Archived