Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A suitable dob mount for meade 6" f/5 newt? Orion Optics?

cathalferris

As I've mounted my 8" OTA on my lxd-75 mount, I've got no mount spare for the 6" f/5 OTA that came originally with the mount when I bought it 2nd hand. I'm toying with the idea of mounting it as a Dob and keeping it in the car as a reasonably large grab'n'go scope, or even giving a lend of it to a mate that is starting to get into astronomy.

I suppose my question is, is it worth getting the Orion Optics dobsonian mount for a 6" scope?

Does anyone here have the 6" mount, and if you do, how has it been to use? Would you consider it worth the money to get the mount itself for another OTA?

hi there.

it's easy to make a dob base for your OTA.

I did just this recently for a mate:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/144997-home-made-dobsonian-base.html

it's based on the OOUK dob base as I have a 6" f11 and recently sold a 12" f5.3 so I do like them. I am making a 16" version of this now to support a 16" f4 OOUK OTA as their base is a little expensive for me at £500+.

I find the 6" base a little tall and spindly for the 6" f11 (better now it's on an equatorial platform) but would probably be better with a f5.

I know others use alt az (e.g. AZ4) mounts for these scopes which would also be good I think.

If you have a router then making a dob base is dead easy and it will be as good as if not better than the OOUK one.

my base for the 16" will cost me about £100 altogether I reckon.

Another option is this GSO Mount

It is identical to the Astro Tech mount in my sig. It takes my grab 'n go 6" F4

very well. It is shown in the link with an 8" F4.5 which I think is pushing it too

far, but a 6" F5 should be ok. The tripod collapses to make it an easy fit in a

car boot.

Regards, Ed.

Archived