Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyshed POD cover

iamzoso60

There are quite a few people on here with Skyshed Pod's, so I thought I would post a picture of mine complete with a vinyl cover that I have had made by a local company.

Its lightweight, waterproof and will be great in the Winter months. It's removed and fitted in seconds.

photo-5.jpg

Can it be tightened up round the base with a draw cord as well as using the tie downs? I'm thinking it might help to keep the wind from whilstling up underneath (having worn a kilt in windy conditions I know how the wind can whistle! :) )

It can have a drawstring around the base. I only picked it up yesterday, so I wanted to make sure that it fitted. Plus, I go on holiday tomorrow for a couple of weeks, so at least I know that no matter what the weather throws at it, it will be waterproof.

I'll have a play around with a drawstring when I get back.

PODs can have a tendency to leak at the pivots when rain is heavy.

I was rather shocked at the price that SkyShed were selling them at - around £200 so I made my own from Tarpaulin - cost me £14.

May not look beautiful but it does the job. How do you lift yours on and off easily iamzoso60?

I lift mine on and off with a prop. I have loops on the far side which I lift it by, and it is weighted in four places to make it drop down.

I had only pinned it and not stitched it when I took this photo.

wp8744fae0_0f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in reply, but only came back off holiday in the early hours of this morning.

I used a footstool to gain a bit of height and throw the cover over the top, then I can equal it out by pulling the bungee cords which are permanently fitted onto the cover. I had 3 or 4 attempts before going on holiday without any problems. Maybe awkward if in high winds, but I doubt he POD would be used in those conditions.

The cover cost me £80.

• 4 years later...

I made it myself.  It wasn't easy.  Used this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400505428830?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&var=670104801238&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Actually the one in the photo is the first one I made which I made of tarpaulin, but after a bit it started to develop holes, so I made the 2nd one from the material on Ebay.  I laid the tarpaulin on top of the POD and made pleats with (needlework pins), then stitched it and cut off the surplus pleats inside.  I put weights at the bottom and a strap at the top for lifting it on, also straps next to the weights, so I lift it by all the straps and a prop, and with a shove the weights slip down the opposite side.

Carole 

Yes so do I which was why I made the cover.  It worked for a long time but this last year I seemed to be getting water leaking inside even with the cover on, I don't understand why unless the waterproofing had deteriorated in the fabric, plus I left it on for a while when I was in an imaging doldrums and then found green slimey protococcus underneath, so I have stopped using the cover as it wasn't stopping the leak any more anyway.  

I generally cope with a bucket under the leak and if there is a heavy downpour just go out and empty it before it overflows.  Seems to work.

Today i cleaned all the residue of the green slime off the dome and it's looking nice and bright white again (couldn't face doing it during the cold weather).

Carole 

Ah good question Carole! Told my wife your comment - she laughed. She's now threatening to buy two inflatable Grey Seals to stick in my POD! Good to hear from you though as I was concerned about a comment on this thread not being a good advert for the POD. This is not the case. The POD is a dream come true for me and I can highly recommend. I didn't expect it to leak when I first built it to instructions, but now I've resolved them it's  dry inside. Had a good testing session this evening as I can now remotely control the telescope and Camera from inside the house - great in winter so I don't get cold outside. Looking forward to imaging.

Nigel

Archived