Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1000D or 450D ??

I suspect they are very similar.

The 450D might have slightly better noise profile due to the newer sensor used.

The main difference I noticed was that the 1000D is a 12 bit image versus the 450D which is a 14-bit image which means that the tonal graduation will be marginally better.

Difficult to say really as you'll find opinion divided. The 1000D has a slightly lower resolution compared to the 450D (10.1MP as opposed to 12.2MP).

Both are very capable DSLRs for astrophotography, with the 1000D body weighing 475g as opposed to the 450g of the 1000D. I've had reasonable results with my 1000D and hope to have better ones now I have a decent mount.

You may even want to consider the new 1100D as it has a greater ISO range (100-6400), higher resolution (12MP) and faster (DIGIC IV) processor.

Paul

I have had my 450D for two days so I don't have much to say about it yet apart from I'm liking it a lot. If price is a factor don't be shy to look on ebay I picked mine up under 250 and I have no complaints at all.

I went with the 1000d which I got on eBay for £220 with a 18-55 lens. May well sell the lens as I won't need it. So I'm quite happy

Jake

Don't sell the lens. You can get quite decent wide field images of constellations with it. Set the focal length to 18mm, f/4.5 ISO800 then autofocus on a distant streetlight (or the Moon) then switch IS and AF off. Point at your target (Cygnus / Summer Triangle's good at this time of year) and take a 30s exposure. Yes, there'll be a bit of star trailling (less at 18mm than 55mm though) but it's a good start to astrophotography.

Oh, and if you time it right and point in the right direction you can get the ISS passing through, leaving a trail.

Don't sell the lens. You can get quite decent wide field images of constellations with it. Set the focal length to 18mm, f/4.5 ISO800 then autofocus on a distant streetlight (or the Moon) then switch IS and AF off. Point at your target (Cygnus / Summer Triangle's good at this time of year) and take a 30s exposure. Yes, there'll be a bit of star trailling (less at 18mm than 55mm though) but it's a good start to astrophotography.

Oh, and if you time it right and point in the right direction you can get the ISS passing through, leaving a trail.

Sorry I should have said I already have 2 canon lenses so the one that comes with it won't be needed. Might as well sell it. I'm sure someone on here can make use of it

Jake

Sorry I should have said I already have 2 canon lenses so the one that comes with it won't be needed. Might as well sell it. I'm sure someone on here can make use of it

Jake

Fair enough! :) The money you get for it can go towards getting more kit :)

Archived