Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help/advice/words from the wise

a10ken

Hi a10ken,

What a good choice of starter scope for your son! :)

I would tell him to familiarize himself with star charts, and get a Planisphere. Stellarium will also help! http://www.stellarium.org/ The altazimuth mounting of a Dobsonian reflector requires that you have a map of the night sky in your head. The charts and planisphere will help! Plot his subject with the use of star charts. (over time he might consider acrquiring more eyepieces) The eyepiece is located near the top of the telescope, close to where it gathers light. Use the telescope when light pollution is at a minimum, because this kind of telescope is a light bucket. Tell him to aim the telescope at the sky and find his subject according to his charts/planisphere. Then position his eye over the eyepiece and focus....Remember, get him into the habit of taking notes of what he saw. Most of all wrap up well and have fun! Also, get issues of Sky at Night etc..and to watch it each month on TV. I hope this advice helps? All the best!

All of the above and a good dollop of patience. Observing skills need time to be honed as the fainter objects aren't aways obvious at first. Don't plan too many targets and spend time with each one not just ticking them off a list.

The moon is a great place to start as it provides plenty of detail especially leading up too and after a moon.

All of the above and a good dollop of patience. Observing skills need time to be honed as the fainter objects aren't aways obvious at first. Don't plan too many targets and spend time with each one not just ticking them off a list.

The moon is a great place to start as it provides plenty of detail especially leading up too and after a moon.

I agree John, :)

a10ken, the moon is a great place to begin. I also think that you should ask him to locate Saturn - he'll be captivated! :)

Archived