Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

binocular collimation

Just a (begginer) question about binoculars, more to the point binocular collimation, I have been researching large bins for a month or so. Not having owned any before. I am looking at something in the range of 15x70, 25x70 or 20x80. I know some retailers (F.L.O) will collimate prior to despatch, my question is, is collimation just a case of turning a screw inside the body or is each model different ? I would not like to buy a pair out of collimation and not be able to fix problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

bins should be collimated out of the box as they are not usually user collimatable unless you are an "expert" - unless you buy a really cheap pair that have been dropped, i wouldn't worry - I would think that 99.9999... % of people who use bins quite happily have never heard of the word "collimation". I'd be surprised if FLO or any other retailier would collimate prior to dispatch?

Sorry (kniclander) what I meant to say is that F.L.O. claim to check collimation of bins prior to despatch, according to their web site.

aah, tis a subtle distinction - if they say they check it then I'm sure they do - I would think if any are out then they get sent back rather than collimated by FLO? good luck with your purchase:)

I have just received my 15x70s from Nightfisher and have found them to be way out of alignment, most likely due to being bumped about in transit and nothing to do with how they were handled in use as they look to be in remarkable condition.

Stars are appearing as two widely separated points of light when using both eyes so I guess some pretty major adjustment is required to set them right again. I believe it to be the right one that is causing problems as the exit pupil has a slight look of a "cat's eye". I will do some more viewing tomorrow to properly determine what the problem is so I don't end up messing with the wrong side :)

Thanks for all the responses guys, has somewhat put my mind at ease, think I have decided on a pair of 15x70s from Strathspey`s, which hopefully should arrive in A1 condition, i was a bit worried as I have not even needed to collimate my scope yet, Hopefully when I do, it wont be as daunting as expected, ha. Total begginer statement. Thanks all..

Archived