NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Have I missed anything?

jollyjack

It would seem I have fallen into a bit of a snooze...18 Dec 2010 the last visit! Have hardly been out with the bins or the scope. is my love of the art dying? No! Just v busy and distracted by life and stuff. Anyone else find that "life" gets in the way and leads them from the path for weeks that turn into months? (have been watching S@N and other good stuff when possible). Summer a bit linked with the football close season, unless you're a night owl. Shortest day in a week or so, nights will be drawing in soon. Autumn probably my favourite season, watching Pegasus/Auriga/Andromeda start to appear in the evenings. Anyway, apologies for being an astronomical errant, will try harder!

I used to feel that there was ugency or "I must be outside stargazing!" at every opportunity whenever the skies are clear. But then I was reminded that the universe, and our solar system has been around before the earth existed and will continue to be around after it exists! I often get distracted by the foibles of life; whenever I glimpsed my scope sat in the corner of a room collecting dust I would reminded that I had not been outside for while, partly due to weather - partly due to other commitments.

I find by reading articles in books or on the internet (SGL!), watching programmes such as (s&n) has helped me realise and understand the passion that I hold for astronomy; this forum serves as a reminder that I'm not alone, but there's an entire community out there... who are equally as passionate as myself! - Thanks SGL! :)

Like your reply, not sure if we're both in "could try harder" or "getting some seniority" bracket, but I feel reassured that astronomy is for life, and not for the initial excitement etc phase.

When its dark in the Winter, or when I've been south into the tropics, bins are the simplest way to get into the zone and reconnect with the awe it inspires:)

You might actually find that not signing on to SGL for a while is the cause of you not getting out there (rather than the other way around).

I find I'm always most eager to get the scope out after reading a few threads on SGL, whetting the appetite and refreshing the bug :) I'm quite busy too but for something you love, you make time.

I missed out observing for most of December - March due to a house move. Sometimes you just can't find the time or energy but the distraction and bit of a break just fires the interest more when you get back to it.

Archived