NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 7000 - Help

Hi

Attached is a very quick and dirty NGC 7000 an hours worth of data using the kit in my signature. I have not yet added any darks or flats. I have some levels and curves but am not really seeing much ?

Is there a method to process this type of target and perhaps enhancing the red chanel ?

regards

John B

post-17074-13387761839_thumb.jpg

Are you taking shots through the 250 OTA? That would be a bit restrictive, in terms of FOV. NGC7000 is huge. During capture (not much help now), you may need an H-alpha filter. Using flats and then removing the background can help. I had a quick go with ImageJ to flatten the background, but could not pick out any detail of the nebula.

looking at other pics, looks like your right in the center of it were there are no details or definitions. The FL of your scope gets you right in on there, for reference here's my image from last summer with a 500mm FL refractor and .8x reducer for effective 400mm....your scope is 1200mm.

As far as processing goes, pull down the green a bit or use HLVG filter.

4953487186_0045abe372_m.jpg

ngc7000 North America Nebula by jsigone, on Flickr

thanks for the feedback I have posted the complete version in the Deep Sky form and with more subs, darks and flats its not to bad. Guess the thing to do now is work out were i am and then do another area and mosaic it. maybe there are some notable star in the area I can use to buidl up the areas

regards

John B

looking at other pics, looks like your right in the center

Is there any easy way to work out which area I do have so then when I take my next pane I know which way to head, I guess somehow overlay my image on an image of the complete region ?

John b

Is there any easy way to work out which area I do have so then when I take my next pane I know which way to head, I guess somehow overlay my image on an image of the complete region ?

John b

NGC 7000 is one I am first going to try with a wide field camera (perhaps piggybacking a DSLR with a 200mm lens on the C8). However, to create a mosaic, work out the field of view in degrees of you CCD, centre on the coordinates of NGC 7000, and then acquire images at offsets of + or - 0.4 (not 0.5, to ensure some overlap) times the FOV both RA and Dec, and repeat in steps of 0.9x the FOV in all directions as needed. That would be my (naive) approach.

You might want a response from experienced mosaic makers.

John b

I can't upload anything here from work, but if you're looking at the one I linked, it the two bright stars (1/4" spacing between) right near the center of the frame, tad right and 3rd star going down across the dark rift. U have this but mirror from the newt. I'll try an overlay/box when I get home.

You can plate solve in Maxim DL but I think there may be a free one. Doesn't Steve (steppenwolf) do this sometimes? Not sure if it's free.

Or in Registar you can do it. If you send a moderate sized jpeg to my hotmail address (les dot granges at hotmail dot co dot uk) I will gladly Registar it onto my widefield and send it back to you.

Olly

You can plate solve in Maxim DL but I think there may be a free one. Doesn't Steve (steppenwolf) do this sometimes? Not sure if it's free.

Or in Registar you can do it. If you send a moderate sized jpeg to my hotmail address (les dot granges at hotmail dot co dot uk) I will gladly Registar it onto my widefield and send it back to you.

Olly

Slap bang in the middle :)

post-16950-133877618733_thumb.jpg

Archived