Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Refractor Baffles... err help?

Rob

Hi All,

I own a Optics Star AR80 80mm f7 achro refractor (see on the link below)

Opticstar AR80 refractor telescope.

It has a screw in lens cell. It claimed to have knife edge baffles.. err well there are 2 sponge rings glued in there!!!. And the tube is flocked as standard. I've managed to get hold of a WO ZS80 baffle cone from Astro boot, and I'm now looking to see if I could fit this to increase its performance.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/images/astroboot/Image-3_2010-06-05.JPG

Firstly.. how, where do I need to position this.. I'm guessing it will not screw on the lens (mind you not 100% sure) but i need to know where to cement it in within the tube.

Can you help me please.

Thanks

Rob

I'm guessing you'll be able to experiment Rob. Work out where the focal point is and then pull the baffles right down the tube so can see the whole objective and tube. Then start pushing it back up the tube until the inner tube and very outer part of the objective are obscured. Surely that should be the right position for the baffles.

Agreed.. just been reading a primer on how to work that through.. Think I've got it. Theres a lot been said about fitting a baffle tube.. lots of claims it increases performance.. well it was worth it for a £5!

Seems a small refractor of say f5 would benefit from having 5!.. most synta offer 2!. I will of course report back on the forum here with images on how I fit / get on + first light. SNS have a number of these for sale through the astro boot. If it works out well I can see a number of modded ST80's coming up!!

Rob

Will the light cone be right for those baffles? Those baffles are for an f5.9 lens and the ST80 is a steeper F5. Will that mean a number of the baffles will be ineffective.

Archived