NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mini session with my new Bressers

I bought a pair of Bressers (10x50) a couple of weeks back but never had a chance to use them due to the poor weather... until last night.

Ended up in bed at 10.00pm last night, and I know it’s sad on Saturday night... but I had a fairly hectic day; anyway, woke up at around 1.00am to get a drink of water and on the way back to the bedroom I decided to have a look outside...

My expectations weren’t high really, since I got used to the thick, persistent, and 'I ain’t going nowhere’ cloud that had been hanging around for pretty much entire May (!)... So I can’t really describe how excited I suddenly felt; Not thinking too long I run upstairs, put some clothes on, grabbed my new binos, star atlas, and off I went outside to the back garden.

The sky was still relatively bright, plus the light pollution didn’t help. Nonetheless I still had a good feeling about what was coming.

I focused mainly on Cygnus, Lyra and Ursa Major.

The amount of stars that I was able to see around Cygnus was staggering! Qucikly went to the 52 Cyg in order to catch the Veil nebula, but failed. Not sure it was the light pollution, the binos or the summer background sky which was too bright, or the combination of all... that didn’t put me off, though.

Off to Lyra and this proved to be good choice for the binaries. The Gamma Lyrae seemed really easy to resolve and the binos produced a very nice, and sharp image of this double. Onto the Epsilon Lyrae – pretty faint but managed to resolve it (btw I know it would be a double-double through the scope).

I think the catch of the night was Melotte 111 - very large and prominent looking, managed to resolve a lot of stars in there, and must have spent a good few minutes looking at this cluster. Really good for the binoculars (so good that I revisited it a few times later on).

Ursa Major with all the Messiers (that I could not see last night) was the next area to scan. Tried M81/82 but failed again. Mizar and Alcor were an obvious choice, and again - pretty easy one. Got a really nice view of this system. Quick look around, a few failures with some more Messiers and had to wrap it up – it was getting really late.

I must have woken my wife up – she came downstairs and instantly knew what I was up to... She just smiled and said: You are just impossible!

I must say I’m pretty happy with this mini session and with what I saw through the binos.

The pair, along with my star atlas is going to become my new holiday friend from now one.

Clear skies!

P.S. My neck is pretty sore today!

Thanks for the first light report with the new bins! I've got the same bins coming my way soon! I can't wait to get mine too. I'm glad that they're quite good, as I initially had my doubts since ordering, but your report has made me anticipate their arrival even more.. Cheers. :)

I did almost the exact same thing last night with the same bins.

You've got to grab it while you can at this time of year!

Get a cheap sun lounger... :)

That's a good idea - sunlounger. Is it worth using them with the tripod bush too? :)

That's a good idea - sunlounger. Is it worth using them with the tripod bush too? :)

With 10x50 its best to just hand hold, sitting and reclining on most loungers it's possible to rest your elbows on the lounger arms or put it flat and rest the bins on your face.

This is the one I use, very comfortable: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=536805&c_3=3|cat_14270233|Garden+Folding+Chairs+and+Loungers|26442639&c_2=2|cat_16849255|Garden+Furniture|14270233&c_1=1|category_root|Garden+and+Outdoors|16849255

Tripods are good for rock steady views of things below about 50 degrees, the rest can be pain in the neck.

...I have not seen it with my 15x70s. In small scopes it requires an OIII filter.

Thanks Michael - I knew I was expecting too much :)

Thanks for reading everyone!

Archived