Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6992

Mik3

This is my 2nd attempt at astrophotography, I'm very pleased with the results. I managed to get 8m worth of data 100s exposure this time. Lots of noise, I never got enough darks I think?

mik3-albums-first-dso-picture11807-ngc6992.jpg

With DSS I`d say try to balance by bringing all 3 colour channels together (in my experience this is a good place to start) - then maybe drop the saturation down a bit, around +18% give a `natural` look. Then once exported use Photoshop, or ELements or GIMP to fine tune the image - but don`t worry about that at the moment - I`m still very new to this so take everything I say with a large pinch of Sodium Chloride.

That's a good capture....as you say, it needs a lot more data to get the noise down.

Your first image is far better than the second....you've used too much noise reduction and have lost detail, and something very odd has happened with all the black artifacts in the lower part.

I copied your first image into photoshop and balanced up the background, then ran Gradient Xterminator on it once on a low setting, and then applied a very small amout of noise reduction...no stretching with curves or levels.

Get some more data for this and you'll end up with a fine image :)

Rob

post-14403-133877617855_thumb.jpg

Archived