Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece upgrade

Having a skywatcher startravel 120 with the standard 10 & 25mm eyepieces I was wanting some advise as to which eyepieces would be a good upgrade. As this is a fast scope I realise that it will be less forgiving of poor optics and an eyepiece is for life nor just this scope?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Also which Barlow would compliment, is the Antares deluxe Barlow any good as it is a 2x/1.5x mag so would triple my eyepiece collection.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Clear skies one and all

The Startravel scopes are much better suited to low to medium power observing in my opinion so, if you want to invest in a quality eyepiece, it seems a good idea to me to play to the scopes strengths and get a nice 30mm 2" wide angle eyepiece. As the scope is fast you will need something well corrected such as a Tele Vue Panoptic or Nagler or the William Optics 28mm UWAN / Skywatcher 28mm Nirvana. Unfortunately such eyepieces do cost more than the scope did but, as you say, they are for life.

2" eyepieces allow a wider field of view than the equivalent 1.25" eyepiece - about 60% wider in fact. You would need a 2" diagonal as well but you can also use your 1.25" eyepieces in that by using an adapter - most 2" diagonals come with them.

If you want to stick to the 1.25" format then either a 32mm plossl or something like a 24mm Panoptic or Hyperion will show the maximum field of view.

Could you recommend a specific diagonal, the reviews of these seem a little ambiguous, as it is an opts element I wouldn't want to get the eyepiece and the diagonal let me down.

What are your thoughts on the baader Hyperion mk III zoom? Or would I be better off assembling a separate collection of eyepieces? With the zoom option although they seem like good value for money do you compromise on quality?

Clear dark skies

Archived