Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best scope around 100 pounds

I got my first scope at christmas and when showing my dad discovered that he has always wanted one too. It's his birthday coming up so wanted to buy him one. Ideally around the 100 pound mark although may be able to go a bit higher. Portability isn't (too) much of an issue. The only problem is that he lives in London so dark skies are unlikely unless he travels (so maybe portability is an issue?). He's 65 but still reasonably active for his age so could move something around if its not too heavy.

It's a bit more than I intended but I had contemplated the Skymatcher heritage 130.

Any suggestions?

On a side issue will he be able to see much from the light polluted skies of greater london?

I observe from a city - it is possible. The light pollution is bad but this does not affect the views of the moon, planets and some DSOs.

Aside from the 130P - which I have never used - I can't think of a scope that meets your requirements and your budget.

After buying a starter scope myself recently, I would recommend you go for the largest aperture reflector you can afford (IMHO wait and save for the 130P as £100 wouldn't get the same kind of value as say £130-150) as I found you'll be wanting brighter and brighter images to pick out those dimmer wonders, especially observing from say a city/suburban garden.

I think 130P would be a good starter for this kind of use, as it is a bigger larger than the one I use but would be easily managable. I would look at the equipment reviews section on this Forum, some of the reviews might help to decide what you think would be best for your dad. Good luck, I'm sure it'll make his birthday :)

A Newtonian such as the 130P would be a very good beginners scope and it will give you some good views of the moon, planets, double stars, star clusters, as well as a small handful of bright nebulae and galaxies...even from the skies of London!

If you are on a budget though, I would strongly recommend that you get yourself a pair of Celestron or Revelation 15x70 binoculars. I've got around £1000 of astronomy kit, but my £60 Celestron 15x70's are easily my most used and versatile observing instrument. You'll be able to make out Saturns rings, good views of the moon and probably see most of the Messier DSO's with them if you can take them on holiday where the sky is dark.

Archived